Day 1, Round 2. Il. Deer Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rks1949

Reaction score
This is truning out to be a real lousy deer season in Illinois. It's the first day of the "second season" and it's raining hard. Forcast 80% today. It rained so much on the first season,that most areas were flooded out in the river bottoms. :( ! On a positive note though,the bottom is supposed to fall out of the temps. on Friday. This should get the deer moving. One thing about the Mid-West is ya never know what the next day will bring. Tee shirt yesterday,insulateds,and mittens tomorrow,next day: who knows? :?

Freezing rain here. My mother in law ran off the road heading for work while in 4 wheel drive. I'm not going to go out this morning. It's supposed to snow tommorow (10-12" of accumulation). This weekend if I want to go I have to take my 7 yr. old. It's not looking good here.

Yeah,Patrick,most of the ground we hunt around here is river bottoms,and they aren't dried up from the last rain yet. Dosen't look good. Ron

I thing there's going to be a huge chunk of Illinois that is down this year. Yesterday was lousy but some guys got out anyway (I went in the afternoon) but today hunting is going to be practically non-existant. Maybe there will be some this weekend but backroads are going to be hideous.

We've got 8-10 inches on the ground. It's hard to say because of the drifts. We live in town and our road hadn't seen a plow yet. The tire tracks are from my father in laws 4x4 when he tried to take my wife and mother in law to work (they work at the same place). The highway hasn't even seen a plow either and he wouldn't risk it. It's hard to believe that I shoveled it an hour ago.

I guess my wife's boss will be ticked. They had a meeting and she told them that she was accepting no call offs. The people with 4x4's would pick folks up. Well the folks with 4x4's can't even get in. :roll:

snow.jpg

No snow over here East,but rain all day yesterday 1.7 inches! Today rain mixed with snow,gentle wind with gust 30-45 mph. Everything is supposed to calm down Sat,and Sunday. I wish we would get at least 2 inches of snow,I love to hunt with snow on the ground.

Went out this evening and sat on the side of a swamp. A nice doe came out at 200yds. and gave me a shot,but I didn't take it. She was on a island,surronded by water(it's everywhere again) and I thought that I wouldn't have any way to retieve her,(didn't have chest waders with me). Oh Well, 2 more day's to go,then if nothing there's allways the last season,but it's doe's only! :(

Ron, Good luck on trying to get your deer. I think I am going to wait until the January season to go back out. I only have one more antlerless tag to fill. We got 10 to 12" of snow here last night so I think I will give the duck/goose hunting a try in the morning.

I've still got my either sex tag but I can't go. Now if my father in law fills his tags and watches Aidan I can go. I don't think it'll happen as he has a firearm tag and a couple ML tags. I can always go during the late season and use my ML handgun then.

Yeah,there's a big buck using the area I'm hunting,maybe my luck will change tomorrow. :)

Well,it didn't change! :( Had some hunters "trying" to still hunt and walked right into my area,and scared the buck back south! :roll: Last day of regular season,seen 9 deer this am. One was the big buck again,and a nice 10 pointer,a six point,and the rest does. All 500yds away! :( Did have three dogs with in shooting range,but won't shoot them. They were running deer. There's allways DOE season in January,who know's what will be going on then?

Back