Day at the range, couple questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraig

Reaction score
First off, thanks to everyone helping me out over the past couple years with the issues I've been having with my Knight Mountaineer.

So recapping the issues I've had with this gun since buying it about 3-4 year ago.

Primers sticking. Lots of blowback. Knight sent me 2 different new breech plugs, issue not resolved. It was recommended I try Win209 primers (was using CCI209M). That seemed to help a little but didn't solve the issue. Finally sent it to Bestill after monkeying with it non-stop, where he put a custom breech plug in. The blowback issue was resolved. Had an issue with a couple misfires where I darn near threw the gun (kidding. sorta). Jeff recommended I use Federal 209A primers. I also MAY have had an operator error issue, but couldn't confirm. Also bought a capper/de-capper tool from Knight since getting the primers out of this gun with a scope on CAN be a pain. Got the tool, had to cut part of it to fit. It works fairly well, no big complaints.

My biggest issue started at the very beginning where I bought this gun trying to get back into black powder shooting, right when my first child was born. One thing you need with muzzleloading is TIME. Who would have thought a new born would take up time?? Yeah..that wasn't smart on my part. So I would shoot it, have issues, then I wouldnt get a chance to get back to the range for months it seemed. And when I did, I was always in a hurry. Something you absolutely cannot be when trying to get your gun to shoot well.

Anyway, I had a few hours today, so to the range I went. I had powder tubes loaded up for 90, 100, and 110. Although I wanted to try several bullet/powder combos, I didnt have an endless amount of time, so I wanted to take it slow for what I was going to try. I decided to try the Harvester Scorpion PT Gold 300 grain that I had a few packages of. I did 3-shot groups at 50 yards starting with 90. Then 100, and finally 110. Each were 1" groups, with the 110 grain being just a tiny smaller. So I rolled with 110 for the meantime. Since my scope was low, I adjusted it. As my shots were working "up", I decided to try Hornady XTP 300 grain while I was at it. I found they grouped even better than the PT Golds. Not by a lot, but a little. However, what I noticed immediately was how much harder the Hornady's loaded. Which was weird because the PT Gold uses Crush Rib sabots, and i put the XTP's in a Crush Rib also, but the XTPs loaded very difficult, to the point where I ended up swabbing the barrel, something where I didnt feel I needed to for a while when I was shooting the PT Golds. And even swabbing it didnt seem to help a ton. Actually, getting the bullet started the first 6" was what was the difficult part. Should I try a different sabot?

I got sighted in for 50 yards for deer season, which I was happy with. Ended up with ~1" groups, which I know can be improved, but I am happy with it for now considering the history I've had with this gun. I didn't have a misfire. The primers didnt stick. All was well. FINALLY.

One thing that really turned me off though about those PT Golds were the ballistic tip would come off. Something I noticed last time I shot those. Not sure how that'll affect anything, but still a turn off.

100 yard groups is next on my list, along with seeing how 80 grains and 120 grains shoot, and trying the TEZ's.

Thanks guys

If you put a mic on the XTPs they are .452-.4525. The PT Golds are .451. Solution in simple......buy a Lee .451 die (under $25) or even a custom .450 (about $40 shipped) and size all your bulllets the same.

Ballistic tops falling off? Do you have an appropriate loading jag? That should not happen but if you have a flat top or shallow jag, it may happen.

Ballistic tops falling off? Do you have an appropriate loading jag? That should not happen but if you have a flat top or shallow jag, it may happen.

yup I have an appropriate jag. I’ve actually tried a couple different ones and same issue.

If you put a mic on the XTPs they are .452-.4525. The PT Golds are .451. Solution in simple......buy a Lee .451 die (under $25) or even a custom .450 (about $40 shipped) and size all your bulllets the same.

Out of curiosity, before doing that would using a different sabot make any difference you think?

Out of curiosity, before doing that would using a different sabot make any difference you think?

MMP 3-petal EZ
Should be .003-.004 smaller than the crush rib

Or, if your bore is that tight, maybe try the orange crush rib. Designed for .458 bullets, but if .452’s are that tight with a black CR, maybe the orange might work. Possibly too loose, but you’ll know pretty quick.

MMP 3-petal EZ

Or, if your bore is that tight, maybe try the orange crush rib. Designed for .458 bullets, but if .452’s are that tight with a black CR, maybe the orange might work. Possibly too loose, but you’ll know pretty quick.

Ill check those out, thanks!

MMP 3-petal EZ

I just checked them out. Looks like they don't offer a 3-petal EZ for .429-.430x50 cal, which is the the size of XTP i was having issues with.

I just checked them out. Looks like they don't offer a 3-petal EZ for .429-.430x50 cal, which is the the size of XTP i was having issues with.
Ah, I see. Well then change to a .452 XTP and proceed from there. Haha Otherwise, yeah my earlier post is relatively useless with this new info.

My fault, i forgot to specify exactly which XTP i was using.

I'm on my third 50rd pack of PT Golds. I did find a tip fell off in one of the bags I bought, so it is possible. I now check each bullet and haven't found another that was even loose.

I forgot to add: I am so glad I didn't give up on this gun. I was so close to ditching it and going with something else. I can definitely see this gun has the potential to be crazy accurate as long as I do my part.

Back