Decent scope for Cheap

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Fast

Reaction score
Hello All. While I am lusting after the new Leupold VX-II 6-18 Custom Dial System scope, I looked in my wallet. No good. So I bought the $40 scope. And I am happy. Buy the way, I have no affiliation with this retailer (except for the hole in my wallet).

Cabelas Brand Powderhorn 3-10x40 BDC, anyway here is there marketing description copy/paste from website:

cabelas110x31.gif

Cabela's Powderhorn Muzzleloader Scope

• Built-in bullet-drop reticle
    • Calibrated to 250 yards
    • Lifetime warranty
Improve the downrange accuracy of your muzzleloader using a scope designed to put you precisely on target out to 250 yards. The trajectory-compensating reticle takes the guesswork out of crosshair placement when using today’s most popular black-powder bullets. All you have to do is sight in the crosshairs at 100 yards at 10X, determine distance to your target, and use the appropriate crosshair. At a distance of 100 yards, the ballistic reticle center crosshair is precisely calibrated to match bullet drop. The next bar down is calibrated for a drop at 150 yards and the lowest bar down for 250 yards. Loading data is based off of 250-grain black-powder sabots and 150 grains of Triple Seven® FFg powder. Multicoated lenses deliver superior light transmission for clear images, even in low light. Hand-turn low-profile 1/4-MOA click adjustments. Waterproof, fogproof and shockproof. Lifetime warranty.

Normally they sell this scope for 99 bucks. I got it for 40 + 10 shipping. 50 bucks for a calibrated scope. This one has not come in, but I made the same deal last year on a 4.5-14 x 44 powderhorn (149 retail). I mounted it on my Knight T-Bolt. After sighting, I was able to group 1.5 @ 100 using this scope 90 grains 777 2fg and 240 grain XTP. 100 was the longest shot I made. I will be mounting this scope on my optima elite .45 and the 3-10 will go on the Knight.

I would recommend this as a good low end or entry level scope. Can you find a better muzzloader scope for 50? Let me know. Yes, I know the country of origin for this scope.

Good Luck, Have Fun, Be Cheap.

$40?!!! Thats a hell of a deal for that scope. You should be real happy with that one.

Scope holds Zero. Lifetime warranty is important to me because this retailer has a good reputation for making good on warranty. I checked today, these are still available.

I almost bought one for a spare but the eye relief is a shy of what I like. I hate scope eye and the MLs aren't shy about giving it to me.

Nope, not at all! I sent out a news letter to the members so they could get in on the deal.

Jon,

If you already sent that e-mail, I didn't get this one either. My setting has been changed to allow it, I think.

I ended up ordering 2. I decided that even if turns out it isn't a good ML scope it should be decent on rim fires. For $38 there isn't much to lose.

Latest posts

Back