Deer feeder

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims

Reaction score
I was considering putting up a deer feeder. I could at best get there once a week. I have a lot of squirrels and raccons in the area. Any suggestions on size, varmint protection, locations, brand names, prices, where to purchase etc would be appreciated. Thanks

Jim,

I would check the Moultrie Game Feeders. They have economy models to high end more advanced models plus many types. I have seen them at some Hunt Clubs etc. and they appear to be a quality product. Moultrie is No. 1 selling feeder(at least per their web) and they have been around many years. Cabelas etc carry them.

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/

Sometime back someone posted on a homemade feeder. It was a barrel elavated with a pole in the center Attached on the inside of the feeder,When the deer touched the pole it would drop the feed,
Don't know where the thread is though
REdclub

I had two Moultrie feeders, and after sending them both back once for repairs, I sold them and bought a Game Country feeder. I have it connected to a 6 gallon metal pail, and have a metal funnel (rather than plastic) to funnel the food to the spinner plate. It's worked great for the past 2 years. A 6 volt lantern battery lasts 6 months, when it's set on the default setting of 1/2 hr after sunrise and 1/2 hr before sunset - dispensing food for either 4 or 6 seconds at a time (I forget which one).

I use shell corn, and the 6 gallon pail lasts between 6 and 7 days, but the 6 gallon pail won't hold a 50# bag of corn, maybe 40# at the most. The squirrels will chew thru a plastic pail, and if you don't have it at least 6 feet off the ground, the deer will stand on their hind legs and knock the feeder to keep getting the corn out of it. The corn only lasts 2 days that way!

Cabelas has the Game Country feeders too, this is the model that I have.
Game Country Day II Feeder.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ry&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

Fixed your link.
Patrick

I have been gone for the weekend. Thanks for everyone for their responses.

Back