Defiance short action anti ultralight 6.49 lb 45 cal

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate everyone's input The 16 twist was the only carbon wrap barrel I could find in this light of a profile everything else was much heavier profile,, but I am just experimenting and learning a lot in the process
Thanks for sharin that with the class. Very cool. Anxious too to hear range reports. Recoil reports too lol

Its not an exact comparison but my NULA at 7.65lbs with scope and a 225gr bullet at 2300fps+ aint bad at all. A 275gr at 2400fps though thumps. Same bullet at 2200ish isnt too bad.

If I start tearing sabots up right out of the gate I'll just switch to heavy 452 bullets and a wad,, I have to give the 40 cal and a sabot a chance though just to see

You might be ok with the Fury bullets. Its the CEB 240s that trash sabots. I dont remember anyone that has been able to shoot them with upper end loads. All the SML guys failed and if you watch the Knight videos he uses 90gr by volume. Pretty sure they have vids up of both the Knight 500 1-18 and Mountaineer 1-20. Whatever the problem is its that bullet because plenty of guys can shoot the Fury 40cal bullets at speed.

Got the gun on at 100 yds,,it didn't blow up,,tied a string to the trigger and strapped it down jumped behind the tractor closed my eyes and pulled the trigger,,yes looks ok so far,I shot 2 shots moving scope a little,,light blue sabots look good,,starting load was 56 grains of black horn 209 by weight and a 240 grain fury and a light blue sabot recoil was very manageable,,we'll see how it can group in another couple of days got a real heavy wind tomorrow.

I will just slowly move up with the powder charge I've got fury 240s 250s I've got Pittman 225s and 250s 40 cal,,, and I got a lot of 275,300 and 325 and 452's to size if needed,,,, I only going to shoot black horn in the rifle, The balance and shouldering of the rifle is excellent,, trigger breaks at a clean crisp 3 lb

There are NUMEROUS posts on Dougs of people blowing sabots with loads that are rock solid with a 200gr SST and even the Fury bullets.....So yeah it will trash a sabot fast. Even Knight staff know it. You seem to be the only one who has ever had luck shooting them at speed. Let alone in a 1-30 twist which i have never had anyone say they got them to shoot in either.

No ,,I was kidding,,but do you ever get that slight nervous twenge the first time you fire a muzzle loader?

My Savage is a long action 30-06 converted to a 45 SML. The barrel is a McGowen 1 x18 twist and it shoots sabotted 40 cal XTP's MOA out to 200 yds. (the farthest target at my range) An 80 degree day with my rifle will make sabots virtually unshootable without waiting 20 minutes between shots. Wiping the barrel with an achohol soaked rag cuts down the intervals a bit but I just steer clear of hot days at the range with my muzzle loaders.

If I start tearing sabots up right out of the gate I'll just switch to heavy 452 bullets and a wad,, I have to give the 40 cal and a sabot a chance though just to see
with 16 twist you can go like 540 grain lead ,

I don't have anything like that I might have to get a donation from someone here,, It would be interesting shooting a 540 grain bullet out of a rifle this light I might have to video that

LOL, i was gunna say i would like to see that. Ive shot some of the jumbo 580gr Parkers in my 54cal carbine so i know how it thumps.

I don't have anything like that I might have to get a donation from someone here,, It would be interesting shooting a 540 grain bullet out of a rifle this light I might have to video that
used to have a ultralite Knight
try shooting a charge less than 120 grains of blackhorn , some where around 50 to 60, well known member on here does it , and what about guy that killed the elk, don't nothing funny about it

If I can get a big bullet to start shooting a hole I can get interested in a big bullet real quick and I'll learn to deal with the recoil ,, The heaviest jacketed bullets I have are some 350 Pittman's and 350 Furys I'm just going to work my way through everything 40 cal and a light blue sabot.

I shoot upto a 488gr using 80gr by volume. I consider that a max load for the 45. Shoots good too in a 1-20 but it does kick a bit even in a full sized Knight.

20201224_123413.jpgbullet was taken from shoulder on far side under hide , weighs about 530 can buy mold from Accurate , I believe mold is .45-540w is number might contact 52Bore about making it a HP, he did this one. Also deer was at 429 yds at time using 94 grains of 2ff Swiss from an Encore20201224_123748.jpg

That's so cool!! The bullet looks bigger than my rifle,, in a six and a half pound rifle I'm sure that would be interesting, still if I was just keeping my shots 150 yards or less I wouldn't think I would have to have a lot of powder it might be manageable recoil,I had a CvA hunter few years ago 45 70 that would just shoot lights out and its recoil was insane I think this gun here is going to be easier for me to shoot than that gun was.

Try about 53 grains of 209BH by weight and maybe a 480 grain bullet by weight and HP

Is there any place I can buy a bullet like that ready to go I have a sizer die,, or would I have to buy all the supplies to pour my own

Latest posts

Back