define crud ring and blowback

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njpddet

Reaction score
Can you please describe crud ring and blowback. I'm sure that I have both...just want to properly name it....thanks

Can you please describe crud ring and blowback.

crud-ring- (kruhd ring)

1. The non-desirable substance formed on the INside of the bore close to the breech end of a muzzleloading firearm which accumulates upon repeated loadings and firings if not removed properly between loadings and firings with a patch and solvent/spit.

2. A ring to be worn to the fourth finger of the left hand given to your second, third, etc choice wife to be.

blowback- (blo-bak)

The non-desirable substance formed on the OUTside of the breech area of a muzzleloading firearm caused by caps, primers, combustion gas thru breechplug that will accumulate on scopes, rings, bases, and breech components of a muzzleloading firearm.

Great Definitions Chuck,

but you missed part of number 2

BLOWBACK-

a continous loud screeching noise from the wearer of the crud ring when you inform her that you'll be hunting all weekend vs visiting with her family. (See definition number 2 above)

Re: Great Definitions Chuck,

MObigbucks said:
but you missed part of number 2

BLOWBACK-

a continous loud screeching noise from the wearer of the crud ring when you inform her that you'll be hunting all weekend vs visiting with her family. (See definition number 2 above)

:D 8) :twisted:

2. A ring to be worn to the fourth finger of the left hand given to your second, third, etc choice wife to be.

And that is the truth!!! LMBO :lol: :lol:

Since changing over to the Winchester 777 Primers,I have all but eliminated the crud ring build up, and the blow back is limited.
If you put a dowel rod down the barrel and mark the end of it, and shoot a primer, you will notice that each companies primer, will push the rod out of the barrel a little. If you mark each different companies primer on the dowel rod, you will be able to tell the hardest firing primer, from the weakest. In order to eliminate blow back and crud ring, you want to shoot the lowest burning primer, that will still ignite the charge.
Oh! be sure not to put the dowel rod in the barrel over a powder charge. Just an empty barrel with a primer. I know that SHOULD go without saying, but you never know!! :roll:

Back