Dialing in for muzzleloader season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzleloader48

Reaction score
Last few days Jon has had me and his brother dialing in our .54"s for the upcoming season. We have elk and deer tags and a really hungry freezer.:)
I was using 223gr ball with 60, 70, & 80gr black powder. Seems to be good out to 150yds. with no problem. The recoil between 60gr & 80gr was negligible. To hone the skills a little better, Jon set up metal pigs at 48, 58, & 80 yds. It sure was fun hearing that metal ping when we hit. From there we shot off hand, and kept hearing that tinny ping. Although it's fun hitting those metal pigs, it sure instills more confidence when you see those off hand shots at 50-100 yds. touching. Practice, practice, practice.....love the smell of gun powder.
Hoping to have some nice pics to put up for you when season is over. Truthfully, nothing more satisfying, and gratifying than hunting with my boys. And the wife always has goodies for us when we get back at camp.

Back