Did I screw up?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmingdales Finest

Reaction score
As I said last weekend I won an CVA Optima and have been asking questions here about what I need to fully outfit it.

I got a sale email from Natchez the other day and saw they had the Burris Full Field E1 in 3-9x40 which I ordered after seeing a lot of love for this scope and Burris in general over Vortex which is what I was thinking about first. My question is did I screw? As I have read more I learned about parallax. The scope I ordered has a fixed parallax of 100 yards and I see most muzzleloader specific scopes are 50 yards while most rifle scopes seem to be 150 yards.

Did I screw up or am I over thinking this due to my inexperience?

How much it matters depends on what you intend to do with the rifle and how far you expect to shoot it.
I would say the majority is going to be a 50 or so yard shot for whitetails and up to 150 yards in the wider open woods of Northern NJ for bears in December.

As I said last weekend I won an CVA Optima and have been asking questions here about what I need to fully outfit it.

I got a sale email from Natchez the other day and saw they had the Burris Full Field E1 in 3-9x40 which I ordered after seeing a lot of love for this scope and Burris in general over Vortex which is what I was thinking about first. My question is did I screw? As I have read more I learned about parallax. The scope I ordered has a fixed parallax of 100 yards and I see most muzzleloader specific scopes are 50 yards while most rifle scopes seem to be 150 yards.

In reading the reviews, you may have to shim it for travel elevation.
Also, I am leery of buying rifle scopes that do not list eye relief and that's important if using magnum powder charges.... common with the most popular brand of Blackhorn 209 powder.

That's why I only buy scopes intended for muzzleloaders and offer 4" minimum for eye relief.

In reading the reviews, you may have to shim it for travel elevation.
Also, I am leery of buying rifle scopes that do not list eye relief and that's important if using magnum powder charges.... common with the most popular brand of Blackhorn 209 powder.

That's why I only buy scopes intended for muzzleloaders and offer 4" minimum for eye relief.

The eye relief is posted for this scope. At the 3x setting it has an eye relief of 4" At the 9x it says 3.1". I wouldn't expect to need greater than 4-5x anywhere I hunt and probably 95% of the time leaving it at 3x.

You should be fine !

3-9x40mm is about all I use on my MLS and hunting rifles in general, never had an issue. Good idea to go with good reputable companies and ones that have a good warranty. Not if a scope breaks but when. It happens, Burris i've had no issues with their Customer service.

FWIW, the Johnston Ultimates originally came with the option of Burris Ballistic Plex 3-9x40. Never a problem with mine. Now my digestive system, that's a different story..

That Burris should suit you well. I have an older Fullfield 2 on my loader. This scope has been in use for 15 years or so a n d on multiple rifles.

I get as close as I can to refusing to own a scope without adjustable objective or side focus.... but then I shot rimfire matches at 25 to 200 yard ranges monthly for a decade, and I gotta say seeing your target and crosshairs both clearly at 25 yards is nice. Helps with splitting playing cards, hits on air soft BBs glued to fishing line, etc :)
That said... if I had a fixed parallax I wanted to run on a muzzy or some other relatively limited useful range thing, I would simply adjust the parallax to what I feel would be most useful (somewhere between 60 and 80 yards).

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/thre...can-be-done-at-home-on-a-lot-of-scopes.94809/
Note - I have both a Vortex 2-7x (my one fixed parallax scope :( ) and a Burris (Prime, 3.5-10x w/ AO) and much prefer the Burris. What I wanted over either of them was the Mueller APV 2-7x32 w/ AO but they stopped making them I think....

Back