Disappointing blue finish...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
I recently got in a blue/synthetic Savage 10Ml-II. The gun was one of the scope combos without sights. The finish on this gun reminded me of why I never bought a Savage centerfire for years and GLADLY paid the extra for a Remington/Browning/Howa/etc. On a scale of 1-10 I'll give this blue finish on the barrel a 4. I bet Underclocked wouldn't give it that! It is very splotchy and really should have never left the plant. Comparing the blue finish of this rifle to some less expensive muzzleloader alternatives I have, a Knight Wolverine 209 Youth and a T/C Black Mountain Magnum, the difference is night and day. It didn't hurt the accuracy of course but there is really no excuse for it. I took a couple of pictures but it IS hard for the camera to get it... After seeing the finish on this rifle I REALLY recommend the stainless 10ML-II which has been fine on all four SS 10ML-IIs I've owned.

2006rangepics%20008.jpg

STILL...at a distance, the full size Savage trio(sans Kristels Savage) make a nice looking set..

2006rangepics%20006.jpg

Chuck you could have the Black Ice Coating put on it and remedy all your problems. Wouldn't even have to oil then. :wink:

My very first Sav.(module)10ML had a very poor finish to it as well. It did not look bad,like yours.I put a muzzle protector over the end of it one rainy fall day.After I got home that day,I tore it done to clean it.I removed the" Muzzle Mit",looked like a ballon.Anyway,after doing that I wipe it down,lo and behold there was a spot at the muzzle. Upon further inspection,I discovered the bluing was 75-80 percent gone!They can do better than that!That was on a new gun as well.It was almost as if they dipped them in a blue stain,it was all right until you touched it!Savage really needs to correct this one.I would send it back.That is uncalled for!

I just sent RW a check today for the laminate-blue package gun today. Hope I didn"t make a big mistake? Maybe the new ones are better? Do you think the one you got is the 2006 model?
big6x6 said:
I recently got in a blue/synthetic Savage 10Ml-II. The gun was one of the scope combos without sights. The finish on this gun reminded me of why I never bought a Savage centerfire for years and GLADLY paid the extra for a Remington/Browning/Howa/etc. On a scale of 1-10 I'll give this blue finish on the barrel a 4. I bet Underclocked wouldn't give it that! It is very splotchy and really should have never left the plant. Comparing the blue finish of this rifle to some less expensive muzzleloader alternatives I have, a Knight Wolverine 209 Youth and a T/C Black Mountain Magnum, the difference is night and day. It didn't hurt the accuracy of course but there is really no excuse for it. I took a couple of pictures but it IS hard for the camera to get it... After seeing the finish on this rifle I REALLY recommend the stainless 10ML-II which has been fine on all four SS 10ML-IIs I've owned.

2006rangepics%20008.jpg

STILL...at a distance, the full size Savage trio(sans Kristels Savage) make a nice looking set..

2006rangepics%20006.jpg

dwhunter said:
Chuck you could have the Black Ice Coating put on it and remedy all your problems. Wouldn't even have to oil then. :wink:
Yeah, now THAT would be nice! 8) That blued 10ML-II with the 50mm Leupold IS a nice lookin' setup, Chuck!

Well there you have it, either a blued gun with a poor finish on the outside or a stainless one with a poor finish on the inside. You guys are right Savage should fix this stuff!
What a bunch of....................................................................................come on, you know what is coming! :lol: ................

WinniethePooh.gif

big6x6,
just try and think of it as blued camo. I'll bet if ANY deer gets close enough to see what the bluing looks like.........well he's gone a be dinner.
I know how you feel though and I'm sure you could send it back to Savage but, the finish is just cosmetic, now the shootin, that's a different story. I have a sneaky feeling you didn't buy it for looking at. :wink:
Pocampo

dwhunter said:

You know...that's not a bad idea at ALL! :wink:

I just sent RW a check today for the laminate-blue package gun today. Hope I didn"t make a big mistake? Maybe the new ones are better? Do you think the one you got is the 2006 model?

I really don't know. Of course it is an Accu-Trigger model but it is probably a late 2005 gun. I wouldn't think it would matter TOO much anyway. I DO have a older FV-112 .223 Rem single shot that has a good bit better blued finish but still not up to Remington/Browning/Knight/Thompson standards. The BEST remedy IMO would be to just use a matte finish if they can't do a good blue one.

That blued 10ML-II with the 50mm Leupold IS a nice lookin' setup, Chuck!

Thanks! I again used the Talley lightweight mounts this time medium height. JUST the right height for the 50mm Leupold. I DO like that scope!

...and YES Rifleman...it IS a bunch of Poo! :lol:

billyzink said:
I just sent RW a check today for the laminate-blue package gun today. Hope I didn"t make a big mistake? Maybe the new ones are better?

The new ones are now using Savage's proprietary media polishing process, not the case in times past. I'll snap a picture of them when they come in. They are 2006 models, coming out of production this week.

Chuck:

Is there enough room between the scope and the barrel to fit a set of Blizzard scope caps? I can't tell from the angle. Looks good from a distance!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Blue-Dot-37.5 said:
Chuck:

Is there enough room between the scope and the barrel to fit a set of Blizzard scope caps? I can't tell from the angle. Looks good from a distance!

Blue-Dot-37.5

Not enough room for scope CAPS.. A Butler Creek Bikini fits and that's what I use...

Bwana said:
That's where picking one out at the Gun Store is nice.

ABSOLUTELY correct! :yeah:

The ONLY problem is no one ever has what I WANT!

Latest posts

Back