New Member wondering what his Savage 10ML-II is worth? (Considering selling to fund TC Encore build)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRK

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I am a new member and found this forum while researching smokeless powder TC Encore builds. Lots of great information here.

I am the original owner of a stainless Savage 10ML-II, which I am considering selling to partially fund the cost of a TC Encore smokeless powder build. My reasons? 1) I am a southpaw and simply don't like operating bolts with my right hand. 2) The Savage 10 ML-II is hefty. 3) I really like the way TC Encores carry and handle.

I am not certain what a fair price would be for my very well cared for 10ML-II, and wanted to ask the experts here what they think it is worth. I have the following: 1) gun with original brown laminated stock (removed); 2) a Boyds laminated stock on the gun that I pillar bedded; 3) original fiber optic sights (removed, front sight screw hole filled with threaded plug); 4) Savage breech plug removal tool and AccuTrigger adjustment tool; 5) extra vent liners from Arrowhead.

The gun has a couple of hundred rounds through it: N120 + Barnes Original + orange MMP sabot, never loaded hot. Functions and shoots like new. Never dropped, never soaking wet, never left loaded or dirty. The breech plug is original and I am on my second vent liner. (Both always installed with anti-seize.) MOA gun -maybe better- at 100 yards (when I am having a good day!).

I have included a few pictures. (I am keeping the scope and rail that are on the gun.) I'd appreciate any input on what I should ask for this gun package. Also, if there is sufficient interest, I'll be happy to list it here for awhile first in the hope that a Forum member who wants it can get it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 10ML.01.jpg
    10ML.01.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 10ML.02.jpg
    10ML.02.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 42
  • 10ML.03.jpg
    10ML.03.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 10ML.04.jpg
    10ML.04.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 10ML.05.jpg
    10ML.05.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 37
  • 10ML.06.jpg
    10ML.06.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
sdporter,

Thank you very much for your inut. Most appreciated.

I can’t help with the value of your gun, but if you’re planning to go with an Arrowhead smokeless Encore barrel, they are heavy and change the entire “balance“ of an Encore rifle.
Don’t take me wrong, I really like mine, but the gun is HEAVY.
This is the only deer I’ve taken with mine so far.
J3IkB3x.jpg

retrieverman,

Thanks, and congratulations on one heckuva nice buck! SUPER tall. My Savage, with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x, unloaded, ramrod installed, weighs roughly 10.7 pounds (bathroom scale). I had hoped that a smokeless Encore rig would be a bit lighter than that.

I haven't weighed mine but it's got a little weight to it. I'm guessing it's right with the others at a little over 10 lbs. Well worth it though. Love my Encore. I poached it around the Wyoming wilderness for 4 days and by the time we were done everything felt heavy though i never found myself wishing the gun specifically was lighter.

Thanks SuperKirby and rp10ML,

I had hoped for some weight loss, but sounds like there isn't much to be had. Maybe I could donate a kidney and get a CF wrapped barrel!

I used to have a TC Encore with a rifled 20 gauge slug barrel. I loved how that gun handled hunting out of the confines of a climber tree stand. I sold it but knew I'd be back some day............

Yes sir. I'm on my third smokeless Encore. Each time i was a little unhappy with the finished product and something would catch my eye so the encore would go to fund the next one. Within a year or two I'd miss the encore and go back. This time I bit the bullet and spent the money to do it right. So glad i did and am very happy with the outcome. I don't see this encore going anywhere this time.

The laminate stock is heavier than the factory composite so you could save some weight there. If I had to guess between the buttstock and forearm it would be close to a pound. Realistically you could get a sub 10 lb. gun...
I'm not sure how the balance would be with the factory stock though, it may be a bit nose heavy but not sure.

rp10ml, Thanks, I am planning to run the Pro Hunter Composite stock to start. SuperK, like you I semi-regularly upgrade until I find forever love. Budgets, applications, and tastes change, right?

Do you guys know if you retain switch barrel capability with a TC Encore frame set up with an Arrowhead ML barrel? It is a secondary concern for me as the gun would be in "ML mode" the vast majority of the time. Just curious if I can still barrel swap. Thanks.

Do you guys know if you retain switch barrel capability with a TC Encore frame set up with an Arrowhead ML barrel? It is a secondary concern for me as the gun would be in "ML mode" the vast majority of the time. Just curious if I can still barrel swap. Thanks.
Absolutely you can switch the barrels just like the factory Encores (except for the Encore FX)...

Hi folks,

I am a new member and found this forum while researching smokeless powder TC Encore builds. Lots of great information here.

I am the original owner of a stainless Savage 10ML-II, which I am considering selling to partially fund the cost of a TC Encore smokeless powder build. My reasons? 1) I am a southpaw and simply don't like operating bolts with my right hand. 2) The Savage 10 ML-II is hefty. 3) I really like the way TC Encores carry and handle.

I am not certain what a fair price would be for my very well cared for 10ML-II, and wanted to ask the experts here what they think it is worth. I have the following: 1) gun with original brown laminated stock (removed); 2) a Boyds laminated stock on the gun that I pillar bedded; 3) original fiber optic sights (removed, front sight screw hole filled with threaded plug); 4) Savage breech plug removal tool and AccuTrigger adjustment tool; 5) extra vent liners from Arrowhead.

The gun has a couple of hundred rounds through it: N120 + Barnes Original + orange MMP sabot, never loaded hot. Functions and shoots like new. Never dropped, never soaking wet, never left loaded or dirty. The breech plug is original and I am on my second vent liner. (Both always installed with anti-seize.) MOA gun -maybe better- at 100 yards (when I am having a good day!).

I have included a few pictures. (I am keeping the scope and rail that are on the gun.) I'd appreciate any input on what I should ask for this gun package. Also, if there is sufficient interest, I'll be happy to list it here for awhile first in the hope that a Forum member who wants it can get it.

Thanks.

Very nice rifle.

You can sell the rifle on GunBroker.com.
They collect about 3%.

In some states you will need to ship it to an FFL and the customer will pick it up from them.

Thanks, HV-ML,

I have used Gunbroker in the past, and may have to again this time. I should have the 10ML-II for sale within two weeks (I want to take lots of pictures and write up a detailed description). I'd like to sell it here, but just read up on this site's For Sale rules and am not sure I'll have a sufficient post count in time to qualify to list the gun for sale here.

25 post count is required for classifieds and 2 weeks.

Something to consider. Many of us know the MLII is past its prime. Sure you will see them offered for crazy money on auction sites. I highly doubt you will get that here. I can get a stainless CF single shot action and "pre-fit" barrel for a little over a grand. In the end it will eat a MLII for lunch in performance. It will have way more aftermarket goodies and a far better quality barrel.

So dont get your hopes up about getting top dollar for it here. Small shank is even less desirable to anyone that wants to upgrade the barrel later. The 4.27" bolt spacing even less. More stocks are available for the 4.40". Cant tell which you have but many small shanks were 4.27".

Last edited:
I do not want to disappoint you but there is one on a gun rack for quite a bit less and it has not sold.

As Superkirby and others have said the smokeless Encores are a bit heavy. I was pretty shocked when I put mine together and was at first disappointed in the weight. Think mine is just over 9 1/2 lbs. But after hunting with it for two seasons now it really hunts lighter than it actually is. That may not make sense but it just balances so nice both carrying and aiming you forget she’s kinda a chunky girl.

Attachments

• DBFE6256-454F-42A2-AF46-DD7C26FE895D.jpeg
    DBFE6256-454F-42A2-AF46-DD7C26FE895D.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 12
As Superkirby and others have said the smokeless Encores are a bit heavy. I was pretty shocked when I put mine together and was at first disappointed in the weight. Think mine is just over 9 1/2 lbs. But after hunting with it for two seasons now it really hunts lighter than it actually is. That may not make sense but it just balances so nice both carrying and aiming you forget she’s kinda a chunky girl.
I know what you mean. My Encore 357 Max rifle is the same way.

Latest posts

Back