Disc Extreme MHC and Blackhorn 209 Range Report *NEW REPORT*

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busta

Reaction score
I think she is a keeper. Shot 15 shots (5 - 3 shot groups) in succession without swabbing, no crud ring or crusty fouling whatsoever. All sabots loaded the same from start to finish. Excellent ignition on all loads and bullets. Winchester W209 primers and Blackhorn 209 were used for all loads.

The first group was the T/C 240 gr Cheapshots with 80 gr B209 and measured a respectable 1.86" out of a CHERRY bore, cant really complain about that. Not bad for eyeball bore sighting, I'm getting better at it. The secret is to use the flash hole in the breech plug as a aperture to align the bore on a distant object. I couldn't believe I got it within 3 inches, probably just lucky and won't ever happen again. Just testing the waters a bit, it is the center Group 1 in pic #1.

Next up was T/C 240 gr Cheapshots with 90 gr B209, wanted to group with two touching, but threw one out for a 1.83" group. Group 2, lower left in pic #1.

Next up was 200 gr Shockwave with 80 gr B209, again wanted to group with two within 1/4", then threw the last one out for a 2.10" group. Group 3, lower right pic #1. Worst group.

Pic #1
009-2.jpg

Now is when it got really scary, Knight (Barnes) 250 gr USS, 100 gr B209, all three cutting one hole for a .610" group. Group 4, upper left in pic #1. Also see pic #2.

Pic #2
007-4.jpg

The last group of the day was a 250 gr Shockwave, 100 gr B209. This loaded very easily and almost seemed too easy, considering I had already shot 4 - 3 shot groups previously without swabbing. This was the best group of the day, 2 bullets went nearly through the same hole, upper right with the other about 1/4" away for a .558" ctc group. Group 5 in pic #1, also see pic #3.

Pic #3
015-2.jpg

This was load and shoot, no cooling time between shots. I did make some scope adjustments between groups, just so you know they were not walking all over the place. I still need to tweek the crosshairs once I settle on a particular load, or two. I will try some 110 and 120 grain load next time out, but it will be hard to improve on those 100 grain groups. I think I am gonna keep the Knight and the Blackhorn 209. :D

More Pics
017-1.jpg

019-2.jpg

That is some excellent shooting and a great range report. That rifle is a real shooter.

Are you going to try and push that rifle harder? I think that model would take a good charge and still behave... I had one of those rifles but got rid of it. All of them so far are good shooters...

is this at 1 hunnert yards, busta? looks like it likes a 100 g. charge :wink: 8)

Excellent report!!!! It is post like yours that cause me to want to get a Knight bolt action and some Blackhorn 209!! Great shooting!

Thanx for the report Busta! Some of those are really good groups! I need to post pics of the groups I shot too. Nothing better than a picture IMO.

Underclocked said:
no conicals? :wink:

Sure, you want me to be the first one that blows his head off. :lol: Doohan tried 'em, but he aint talking.

This is my sniper rifle, no conicals out of this one. I still have a couple others though. :wink:

I really do want to shoot some conicals, but am not sure where to start. Was thinking about starting at 60 grains B209, fiber gasket wad and a 400 - 460 grainer? :shock: Any thoughts? :? I was hoping to get some information from some of these smokeless shooters. I know in some cartridge guns, too light of a charge can cause dangerous pressures. I would sure like to be around long enough to have some grandchildren to spoil.

The funny thing is, it just got better with every shot, no swabbing. Try that with 777. :lol: I think 100 grains B209 and 250 grain saboted bullets are right up that rifles alley. I also forgot to mention the yardage was 100, and I used my homemade rifle rest. The first 3 groups were only shot on 4 power, the last two were shot on 10 power. I also usd the Non-FPJ breech plug conversion, love that thing! Will try some stiffer loads this weekend sometime, weather permitting.

You couldn't wipe the smile off my face yesterday, if you tried. Hope it wasn't just a fluke. :D

they shot fine... . I think I shot 65 gr of BH209 and nothing unusual... I think this stuff is volumetric grain for grain about identical to 777 FFg...

I never shot over 75 in my .504 91..
anyhow.

Wow that rifle's a shooter, great job! And with a modest charge to boot! Maybe there's something to that BH209....

Where did you get the BH209, and what did you pay for what size containor?

Lastly, how hard was it to remove your breach plug? Using 777 tends to sement your BP like epoxy glue.

Thanks, Art.

ART338WM said:
Where did you get the BH209, and what did you pay for what size containor?

Lastly, how hard was it to remove your breach plug? Using 777 tends to sement your BP like epoxy glue.

Thanks, Art.

Art,

I got my Blackhorn 209 at Midway USA, but they also have it at Midsouth and Graf & Sons now too.

It just keeps getting better!

I shot the Knight Disc Extreme MHC and Blackhorn 209 some more today, and it just keeps getting better. I now have 32 shots through it without swabbing, 15 last Thursday and left dirty, shot 17 times out of it today. I also tried some loads in my White .504 with conicals and #11 primer, no joy there, all delayed/hang fires.

Back to the Knight. All shots today were with the Winchester W209 primer as they were last Thursday. Loads last Thursday were weighed on a beam scale to the volume equivelant, today all loads were thrown charges with a volume powder measure at the bench. All groups were shot on 10 power today, load and shoot without waiting between shots. The scope was not adjusted at all today.

First group of the day was with a bullet I had not shot yet, the 240 gr XTP Mag Express and 100 gr B209. The first bullet hit about 2 o'clock in the bull...the second hit abot 1-1/2" above the bull...third came back and cut the first hole at 3 o'clock...so I figured I would shoot a 5 shot group to see if I could put the others in the group...the fourth went back up with the second...the fifth came back down with 1 and 3 for a 2.16" group. See center group G6 in Pic #1.

Pic #1
010-2.jpg

I wanted to shoot some 110 and 120 gr loads today, so G7, G8, G9 were 110 gr and G10 was a 120 gr load. Next up was the Knight USS 250 gr PBT (Barnes) over 110 grains of B209, best group of the day at .425". See G7 in lower left of Pic #1 and also Pic #2.

Pic #2
022-1.jpg

Next up was the 250 gr T/C Shockwave over 110 gr B209. This grouped at 1.12", see G8 lower right of Pic #1.

Next up was the 200 gr T/C Shockwave over 110 gr B209. This grouped at 1.52", see G9 upper left of Pic #1.

The last group of the day was with the Knight USS 250 gr PBT (Barnes) over 120 gr B209. This grouped at .731", see G10 upper right of Pic#1 and also Pic #3.

Pic #3
021-1.jpg

I also wanted to keep track of some sabots and primers. In Pic #4 see the Knight sabots upper left two were with 100 gr, next two were with 110 gr, and the last two next to the primers were with 120 grains B209. The two primers were also from the 120 grain loads with the Knight USS/Barnes 250 gr PBT, see Pic #5.

Pic#4
020-2.jpg

Pic #5
017-2.jpg

It is not hard to see what bullet this rifle likes, the Knight/Barnes went sub-MOA with 100, 110 and 120 grain charges. So far it looks like the 110 gr load might just be the best, but will need more samples to determine that for sure. That has to be the best shooting saboted bullet I have ever shot. The powder and rifle aren't too shabby either. I am just beside myself on this whole experience, never has shooting been so easy and fun. I will NEVER shoot 777 in this rifle as long as Blackhorn 209 is around! I know some of you guys are looking for the downside to this powder, sorry to report that I haven't found one yet other than #11 primers are not enough, but we knew that going in.

My new favorite saboted bullet.
018-1.jpg

Another Pic
008-5.jpg

Great Report Busta! I just gotta get out with mine, this working 7 days a week is getting old. As far as the Knight Extreme MHC, are you using the one with the tight, tighter, or tightest barrel?
Art

Hey Busta, thanks for the range report! That's some AWESOME shooting with the Knight PBT's! :prayer: That's one of the bullets I have on my short list to try in my Omega with this new powder. I weighed out 25 vials at the 110 gr. equivalent the other day and I can't wait to get out and try it. I know that bullet with the yellow sabot is a nice tight fit in my guns so it's no doubt they are a good match for the Blackhorn 209. Anyway, congrats on the great day at the range! Feels good don't it?

Really good info Busta! That's a great shooting rifle! I wish I had gotten one of 'em!

Really...Blackhorn makes a good shooting rifle even BETTER! No swabbing with inconsistant residue left behind and no inconsistant powder charges.

Thanks for actually taking the time to go shooting and posting the results!

flounder said:
Great Report Busta! I just gotta get out with mine, this working 7 days a week is getting old. As far as the Knight Extreme MHC, are you using the one with the tight, tighter, or tightest barrel?
Art

Tighter, .5015"

The .501" and .502" are still NIB. :wink:

Your welcome Chuck, and thank you for your range results too. Finally a powder that lives up to it's hype, gotta love that. :D

More great reporting Busta. Great shooting! I know this sounds like a weird question, but what does Blackhorn powder smoke smell like??

Back