Doing Something Stupid

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentucky Colonel

Reaction score
Heh, heh! My wife is not home to talk me into doing something sensible. 
So, I am about to launch into something I know to be way over my head. :twisted:

Fortunately for me (not him), I have a partner in crime. I am dragging Hilljack down to my level. 
He has agreed to help with hands on assistance. Heaven help him!

Remember that nice block of cherry wood I bought some time ago? 
Well, hold onto your butts! A decision has been made and a barrel is 
about to be ordered.

LkDFGa.jpg

Cherry Wood Block

This will be my first attempt to build a muzzle loader. I will let you know how things go... 
Prayer would be appreciated... and, perhaps necessary. 
:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

Maybe your first attempt should be something like a canoe paddle or row boat paddle KC. :)   Don't screw up that nice piece of wood right off, practice on another unworthy piece of wood,,,, :cry:   :pale:

conner said:
Maybe your first attempt should be something like a canoe paddle or row boat paddle KC. :)   Don't screw up that nice piece of wood right off, practice on another unworthy piece of wood,,,, :cry:   :pale:
Yep. Which is why I made this whistle out of cedar. All by myself. :joker:

pj0r7O.jpg

You did notice the title to this thread, right? :geek:

I am perfectly able to paralyze myself 'waiting for perfect.' Carl Walker actually said something that made sense to me. 
"Nothing is perfect." I had asked him how Traveler (the rifle) came out. (Chuckle) It sorta gave me permission...

He does not try to be perfect and I should remove some of that pressure or I might not ever try. 
And, using a cheaper wood? Uhhh... I tend to only want to buy nice stuff. If it ain't nice, why buy it? 
So, I would end up waiting for ever.

Time to try. :cools:

Well you made a whistle - your ready for Lesson One (don't listen to Carl Walker).  Go for it .... then you can move on to Lesson Two ...... surprise ... :?:   :p   :bom:   :cheers:

Just pay Hilljack to do it for you while you watch. That way you will learn AND wind up with a nice product.

You can always make more money .. not so with a nice rifle blank.

Fortunately, you have someone to assist, hands-on.
If I were doing it myself, I would start with a pre-cut, in-the-white rifle, like the ones sold by Kibler. But, with a skilled individual right there, then your approach is reasonable.
Ron

:face: Quite the challenge you've picked for yourself 'Colonel.   I'd practice on staining/finishing samples of cherry first before putting it on your final stock....that is, whenever you get to that point.   Nothing worse :evil: then messin'-up the signature look you're after.

Marty said:
:face: Quite the challenge you've picked for yourself 'Colonel.   I'd practice on staining/finishing samples of cheery first before putting it on your final stock....that is, whenever you get to that point.   Nothing worse :evil: then messin'-up the signature look you're after.
I have some scrap, fine rifle, hard wood from Clay Smith. I have played around a bit with stains on these. I will do more. 
Made a loading block, too, using mostly furniture scrapers. That was walnut.

I have been closely following/listening/adjusting to the comments and appreciate them all. Thanks.

As you whittle-down that cherry cut-out 'Colonel save any pieces of scrap wood to test your staining/finishing goal.  Nothing like experimenting on the original base wood.

That is a great idea, Marty. Thanks. 

My plan- originally- was to choose and buy a barrel and get it shipped here ASAP. I had 
made decisions regarding the kind of rifle to be built. As my wife is doing a conference at 
the end of the week, I would then have time to drive the three hours to Hilljack's place. 
We would laugh, joke, and carve wood. 
efxU5v.jpg

An artist rendering of Hilljack's shop as we 'work' on rifles

Hoped for Result? One straight barrel laid into a big block o' wood and hands on doing and coaching 
for the next step. This sounded like simple, doable, fun. All I needed to do was choose a barrel. 
Easy, right?

Not so much as it turns out... 

As more information came in, I realized that rifle building decisions must be made while considering the whole project. 
As it progressed, it became clear that better choices might be available.
IjjDMD.jpg
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Keep KC away from that innocent and helpless wood!

(Insert BIG, amused grin here) The palpable concern (outright fear!) for that nice piece of 
cherry wood... left in my dangerous, newbie hands... came through loud and clear. :lol: 
I have not seen a group of full grown men made that universally nervous in a long time.
This amused me (a lot), but also matched my own concerns. Alternatives were proposed.
Thanks for all the help.

This is what I just actually did.
1. We are making a match shooter with salutes to my family history. I have traced my family to Bedford, PA. I have Germanic, Irish, Welsh, Swiss, and English roots. Three portions of my ancestry came into play with the early selections.

2. I have chosen a Size A, .40 calibre, swamped, 38 inch, crowned, breech plugged, Early American style Colerain barrel
LSWS6d.jpg

3. I will ship that nice cherry block to Pecatonica where a Mr. Greenside will work it into a rough Bedford style. He will also do the ram rod hole, lock inlet, trigger, and tang. Three tenons/underlocks will be added to the barrel. The barrel will be laid into the channel and shipped back to me. The barrel 
is in stock. Allowing Mr. Greenside to do this allows me to go with the swamped barrel. I've always wanted a swamped barrel. 
I just did not feel I had the skills to build it on the first try. Mr. Greenside to the rescue!
PLryKg.jpg

A sample Bedford stock as done by Track of the Wolf

4. In order to arrange the above, I had to make decisions regarding the lock and trigger set. I decided on a large Siler flintlock, but will also buy the interchangeable large Siler percussion lock. It is built modeled after a Germanic style lock and the plate measures 5.25"X1" and uses 7/8 X 3/4 flints. The interchange is nice because I prefer to hunt with percussion in damp weather. L & R is the normal choice for a Bedford. Mr. Greenside almost talked me out of it. He is a history buff. But, I liked the family salute to Germanic roots in the construction of the lock. It will work well with the trigger set.

EXHpja.jpg

5. I chose a Small Davis Double Set Trigger, Model 004. This is an adaptable trigger set that serves well with lots of rifles. The choice of double triggers is my shooting preference. My Great Great Grandfather was a Davis so this ties nicely into my intent to make this a family tribute rifle. English are now represented.

shO56i.jpg

Great Great Grandpappy Alonso & Grandma Stella Davis

Obviously, this was a lot further along than I had set out to try. Fortunately, I have been doing a lot of research and thinking about this before things started at all. So, when opportunity/advise came, I was able to make confident decisions based on actual knowledge and pre-consideration. There is still an awful lot left to do.

Having Hilljack to ask a lot of questions of was invaluable. There is no doubt that this would not be this far along without him. Thanks, man.
I hope you are enjoying this rifle ride. I am. :king:

Just do your research, gather up the tools and take it slow. The hardest part IMO is the barrel channel and fitting the butt plate.

FrontierGander said:
Just do your research, gather up the tools and take it slow. The hardest part IMO is the barrel channel and fitting the butt plate.

Yes ...

Back