Dont Get Complacent !

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well all my talk of need for witness marks on ram rods came to bite me in the butt Wednesday. I went to the range to check the scope on my Accura and I guess I had loaded my rifle when range went cold. I usually tie a orange tag on the trigger guard if barrel is loaded . Well after going down range to check targets I guess my older brain forgot I loaded prior ( no orange tag). I reloaded and was using a range rod I'd never used and you can guess the rest..................... anyone know where I can get replacement barrel (V1, 50 cal )
.IMG_1818.JPG

I did that with my 52 knight lrh, glad you’re good.I didn’t have any damage on the gun thankfully

Oh man! Glad you didn't get hurt. Agree, its easy to get complacent and/or distracted.
I have no idea where to get a barrel, especially for an older model. Might be a new gun in your future, unfortunately. Could have been worse.

Looks to be only split where the flutes are.
Thank Goodness you weren't Injured. 🚑 It is Odd How Far up the Barrel the Rupture Started. Thanks for the Reminder to Everyone to Use a Witness Mark & Not get Distracted. 🚨🧨⚠️
Not Sure if it is Appropriate, could you Please Share your Load with us?

Human error is a *****. Happens to us all. I'm certainly glad you weren't hurt. A step I added to my process some time ago after having a near mishap like this myself was to remove my breech plug after every shot on my Accura V2 Plains Rifle and the bolt on my Paramount. Witness marks are great but as you can see, not foolproof. We are all only as good as the process we employ.

Well all my talk of need for witness marks on ram rods came to bite me in the butt Wednesday. I went to the range to check the scope on my Accura and I guess I had loaded my rifle when range went cold. I usually tie a orange tag on the trigger guard if barrel is loaded . Well after going down range to check targets I guess my older brain forgot I loaded prior ( no orange tag). I reloaded and was using a range rod I'd never used and you can guess the rest..................... anyone know where I can get replacement barrel (V1, 50 cal )
.View attachment 24351
I'm sorry to hear that ya blew up yer barrel bud, but I am happy that thats all that got damaged & you're not injured.
We're all human, & we all screw up.

.View attachment 24351
Thank goodness you or any bystanders weren't injured!

Count your blessings brother! Thank God you weren’t hurt. I bet ya couldn’t have squeezed a bb through your ass though from the pucker factor. I’m grateful you’re still around to have another range day. Hopefully you find a replacement barrel soon.

Back