Down to the Last Day and .....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patocazador

Reaction score
Down to the Last Day and ..... Pffft.   :cry:

The last local management area open for deer closed yesterday. It was for muzzleloader or bow only and only for bucks with at least 3 points on a side. I had never seen a legal buck on this 5000 acre piece even though I have hunted it a few days/year for 6 years.

At 8:45 yesterday morning a light tan colored 5 point buck snuck in 50 yards behind me and I caught a glimpse of him. As I turned slowly trying to locate him, he trotted off at a fast clip into thicker brush because he saw me move. I put the sights on an open spot 70 yards away that he had to go through and when I saw his nose, I fired. The timing was perfect as the shot went off just as the front of his shoulder was in line. There was one problem, however, the shot went right over his back because I had held the sights at the level of his nose without thinking.

After reloading, I got down and plowed to the spot through the thick palmettos. I found my landmark and searched until I found his running track in the damp leaves. I followed it for ~60 + yds. until it went into another bunch of palmettos. I never found a single drop of blood or any hair so that confirmed what I thought as soon as I had fired.
I have had a tendency to shoot high on moving targets for 50 years. I know I do it but I can't seem to correct it.

Anyway, the only area still open for deer in the state is over 200 miles north of me in the panhandle. It stays open for muzzleloaders until Feb. 26th. I might make it up there but, if not, hogs and small game are still in season until March 3rd.

Good story. The great thing about hunting is even though the deer got away, the stories will be you forever.  Good memories are always enjoyable to recall.

Better luck next time!

"Good memories are always enjoyable to recall."

Yeah, but this is a bad memory ... but maybe it will help me to shoot lower before I die. :Questuon:

Yep...I still have vivid memories of 30" plus mule deer bucks that I shot over with my Sharps or under with my flinters........still waiting! :cry:

Back