drill bit and breech plug?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g.g.

Reaction score
call me crazy, but I cant see ANY way possible to get an 1/8 drill bit down the plug on my encore. the breech end of the plug hole is much smaller than the bit

what am I missing here?

g.g, The drill bit is to clean the primer end (where the primer is inserted) it will not go all the way through, as the flash hole end is slightly bigger than a nipple pick. The drill bit only goes in approximatly 1/4". Hope this help you understand the cleaning procedure?

SK33 said:
g.g, The drill bit is to clean the primer end (where the primer is inserted) it will not go all the way through, as the flash hole end is slightly bigger than a nipple pick. The drill bit only goes in approximatly 1/4". Hope this help you understand the cleaning procedure?

but the hole (not the flash hole) is not even close to being big enough for a drill bit, even the smallest bit that I have, which is one smaller than 1/8". since I have just decided to give this a try after a couple of years, is it possible that the carbon buildup has closed it up that much?

I can however see light through the plug hole when its been cleaned

g.g. said:
SK33 said:

but the hole (not the flash hole) is not even close to being big enough for a drill bit, even the smallest bit that I have, which is one smaller than 1/8". since I have just decided to give this a try after a couple of years, is it possible that the carbon buildup has closed it up that much?

I can however see light through the plug hole when its been cleaned

g.g.,

I'm betting you have some hard carbon build-up in your plug. The part that needs the drill bit treatment is just ahead of where the primer sits (flame channel) down to the small flash hole. The carbon can be very hard, so start with a small bit and work your way up to the 1/8".

The first time I shot my Knight Disc Extreme with the NFPJ conversion and BH209 I noticed the flame channel had almost closed up after 36 shots. I started with the smallest drill bit I had and worked up to the 1/8" bit, about 5 different bits in all. Every one of them was removing more carbon, so you dont have to start out with the 1/8" bit, you can work up to it.

g.g. said:
call me crazy, but I cant see ANY way possible to get an 1/8 drill bit down the plug on my encore. the breech end of the plug hole is much smaller than the bit

what am I missing here?

I have an Omega, and a 1/8" drill is too large for my rifle. I can't really remember right now, but i think the largest bit that will fit my plug is 5/64". That is the opening on the primer end. The opening on the powder end is smaller yet.

I'm so glad you were all talking about this. I just cleaned my Omega and I tried to use a 1/16 bit and it was not small enough. I don't think its carbon build up as the hole is just smaller than this.

carbon in breech plug

I also could not get a 1/8" drill bit in my used omega breech plugs, so I tried it in a brand new one. The 1/8" bit fits loose in a new plug.
I then proceeded to turn the bit by hand and finally got the bit to
clean the build up out of the channel, perfect 1/8" hole just like the new breech plug.

g.g. said:

what am I missing here?

I had to use a smaller bit first then use the 1/8 to get my breech plug cleaned out .

Re: carbon in breech plug

herb said:
I also could not get a 1/8" drill bit in my used omega breech plugs, so I tried it in a brand new one. The 1/8" bit fits loose in a new plug.
clean the build up out of the channel, perfect 1/8" hole just like the new breech plug.

I just picked up a new plug yesterday to compare and you are correct. the brand new plug fits the 1/8" perfectly. 2 years of shooting has basically completely closed up the old plug (can still see light after cleaning though), even though I have never had a hangfire....which is probably lucky.

thanks for teh help folks

Re: carbon in breech plug

g.g. said:
herb said:

I just picked up a new plug yesterday to compare and you are correct. the brand new plug fits the 1/8" perfectly. 2 years of shooting has basically completely closed up the old plug (can still see light after cleaning though), even though I have never had a hangfire....which is probably lucky.

thanks for teh help folks

Gosh, i had to go and look at the new breech plugs, and sure enough the hole is visibly at least 1/8". I was convinced the hole in the breech plug in my Omega was much smaller than that, but it was just carbon. The carbon in my plug had closed it down to about 1/16" or so, which means the area was reduced by 4. Still never had a hang fire with BH209 at single digit temperatures. Some times my ignorance flat amazes me.

Those Encore breech plugs get really crudded up and fast. About every three cleanings I run the drill into the plug to get the crud out.

well although I bought a new breech, my encore was already loaded and I didnt want to waste the powder so I just hunted with it. the breech was pretty closed up as I described earlier.

it went boooooooommmmmmm 3 times inside of 10 minutes without fail:)

gotta love it

Back