dry patch getting stuck help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alzheimershooter

Reaction score
remington uml, using a 2 1/2" circle patch, using a "lifetime" range rod with a spin jag (.50 cal)

i am using blackhorn 209 and shooting .50 cal bullets. i noticed after shooting a few bullets, they were getting harder to start and push down so i started running a dry patch after each shot. this helped quite a bit BUT!!!!,,,
almost every time, the patch goes down fine but when i try to bring it out, it lodges in there, couple times so hard, i have to removed breech and push it out (after the powder and bullet). i tried a 2" square patch to see if that would help but it really got stuck even worst. when the patches do come out, it is hard, like i put the gun on the ground, put my feet on the tip of the stock and pull like hell.

when they do come out, they have a lot of black , almost oily looking residue on it. maybe that is normal, i am not experienced enough to know.

any tips? i think the patch is catching on the stick carbon residue and wadding up.

has this happened to anyone else?

thanks for any help

i am using blackhorn 209 and shooting .50 cal bullets.

What bullets are you shooting, Conicals, bullet/sabot combo, or sabotless full bore jacketed, or all copper etc?

when they do come out, they have a lot of black , almost oily looking residue on it.

An oily residue indicates there is something else in the bore, Oil, lube of some kind etc. are you putting some kind of lube in there when loading or possibly not getting it cleaned out prior to first loading?

ShawnT said:
i am using blackhorn 209 and shooting .50 cal bullets.

What bullets are you shooting, Conicals, bullet/sabot combo, or sabotless full bore jacketed, or all copper etc?

when they do come out, they have a lot of black , almost oily looking residue on it.

An oily residue indicates there is something else in the bore, Oil, lube of some kind etc. are you putting some kind of lube in there when loading or possibly not getting it cleaned out prior to first loading?

i am mostly shooting sabotless full bore jacketed i think, fury 325's.

maybe i am not describing the oily residue,,, it is not liquidy oily, more like a thick carbon coating. it is probly normal. i started something different and it seems to be working. no more dry patches, that does not work.

alzheimershooter said:
remington uml, using a 2 1/2" circle patch, using a "lifetime" range rod with a spin jag (.50 cal)

i am using blackhorn 209 and shooting .50 cal bullets. i noticed after shooting a few bullets, they were getting harder to start and push down so i started running a dry patch after each shot. this helped quite a bit BUT!!!!,,,
almost every time, the patch goes down fine but when i try to bring it out, it lodges in there, couple times so hard, i have to removed breech and push it out (after the powder and bullet). i tried a 2" square patch to see if that would help but it really got stuck even worst. when the patches do come out, it is hard, like i put the gun on the ground, put my feet on the tip of the stock and pull like hell.

when they do come out, they have a lot of black , almost oily looking residue on it. maybe that is normal, i am not experienced enough to know.

any tips? i think the patch is catching on the stick carbon residue and wadding up.

thanks for any help

Not sure exactly what's going on there, unless you're just using the spin jag only and not a normal cleaning jag. A cleaning jag will hold and remove the patch, where as just using the spin jag, it has nothing to hold the patch. You need one of these: https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessor ... g-jag.html

I use my range rod only for cleaning and swabbing between shots at the range or bench. I load only with the rifle's ramrod. Be sure once you find the load that you want, you make and use a witness mark on your ramrod.

As for patches getting stuck, that could mean a couple things. There could be a hard buildup from not swabbing/cleaning it enough. There could be a rough spot in the rifling. I'd clean the heck out of the barrel with Hoppe's or Montana Extreme BH209 cleaner first and use a brush. I would then start using a damp patch of 50% Hoppes and 50% 91% Isopropyl alcohol to swab between shots, using 2 dry patches following the damp patch. Bestill recommended the 50/50 mix and it works.

Stuck patch on fouled barrel is going to vary greatly for each component combination and atmospheric conditions.

Jag o.d. and patch thickness and bore i.d. are huge variables.

Example brux 45 barrel..450 bore and proshot 2.5" round patch and 2in1 spinjag will stick every time unless extremely humid and wet conditions foul will be softer somewhat goey.

Personally i would not dry patch between shots if wanting to shoot a fouled barrel.

But as encore stated hoppes mixture process will give consistent bore conditions. Then tight patch setup is perfect

Your patches maybe too big for a tight bore also. Try cutting off alittle an give that a chance, as long as the patch contacts both sides of the bore. Only time I dry patch is to remove any liquids I put down the bore on a wet patch.

You've probably got just the loader?You want the knurled one for loading and patching.

Loader only.

You want the one on the left.

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    18.9 KB · Views: 273
  • 217mxWFCSOL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    217mxWFCSOL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 270
Busta said:
You've probably got just the loader?You want the knurled one for loading and patching.

Loader only.

217mxWFCSOL._AC_SY400_.jpg

You want the one on the left.

images (1).jpeg

that is the one i have.

i have started using a brass brush instead, i don't think the dry patch thing works

ENCORE50A said:
alzheimershooter said:

thanks for any help

Not sure exactly what's going on there, unless you're just using the spin jag only and not a normal cleaning jag. A cleaning jag will hold and remove the patch, where as just using the spin jag, it has nothing to hold the patch. You need one of these: https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/accessor ... g-jag.html

I use my range rod only for cleaning and swabbing between shots at the range or bench. I load only with the rifle's ramrod. Be sure once you find the load that you want, you make and use a witness mark on your ramrod.

As for patches getting stuck, that could mean a couple things. There could be a hard buildup from not swabbing/cleaning it enough. There could be a rough spot in the rifling. I'd clean the heck out of the barrel with Hoppe's or Montana Extreme BH209 cleaner first and use a brush. I would then start using a damp patch of 50% Hoppes and 50% 91% Isopropyl alcohol to swab between shots, using 2 dry patches following the damp patch. Bestill recommended the 50/50 mix and it works.

actually that is what i have, montana extreme cleaner and then bore conditioner (which i have stopped using) i have cleaned the heck out of the barrel several times now.

but i have come up with something that seems to be working. after shooting a shot, i put in powder, run brush up and down a couple times, then put in bullet. that dry patch thing is not for me.

Dry patching is asking to get stuck. I use wet patch then 2 dry patches every 2nd or 3rd shot if the barrel likes to be clean or never swab if she is a "dirty girl" and then doesn't get cleaned inside until the season is over. My dirty girls usually don't start to settle into a good groups until have 3 or 4 shots down the tube w/o cleaning, and then nothing but exterior wipedown until season over. Personally Bestill 1-1 of #9 Hoppes and 90% isopropyl works good for BH 209 but I have quarts of "Eds Red" so that is what I use. W

Do you have one of the early RUM's with the rough bores? The first run had several. I know a guy that has been trying to get one to shoot for 4 years. At least he's persistent.

He's probably threw an additional 3 grand at that rifle in scopes alone, then God only knows how much in powder and bullets. Not to mention the hours, days, and years of frustration.

If it were my rifle, it would have been wrapped around a tree, long ago. He's still living the nightmare in Dream World.

Busta said:
Do you have one of the early RUM's with the rough bores? The first run had several. I know a guy that has been trying to get one to shoot for 4 years. At least he's persistent.

He's probably threw an additional 3 grand at that rifle in scopes alone, then God only knows how much in powder and bullets. Not to mention the hours, days, and years of frustration.

If it were my rifle, it would have been wrapped around a tree, long ago. He's still living the nightmare in Dream World.

Send him my (our) way. We....... might be able to help the guy... if .... its not one of the bad barrels. Lots of RUM shooters have had problems corrected by other owners.

ENCORE50A said:
alzheimershooter ……………. you have a private message you evidently haven't seen.....

He cannot answer it due to his low post count

I had this issue the very first time I went to the range.

Fortunately, with an in-line it was easy to fix. When I went home I read a researched and bought the little worm discussed in the video below.

I use Pyrodex, and my issue was not using the wet patch well enough to clean the fouling at the breech end. Since then and using the wet patch to get the breech end of the barrel clean it hasn’t repeated, but the patch worm in the video is in my bag!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4_qoqi4KUh0

Idaholewis said:
ENCORE50A said:
alzheimershooter ……………. you have a private message you evidently haven't seen.....

I am not sure about that... he should be able to see and send PM's when he is accepted on to the site - he may not know that he got one or how to get to it though.

sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:
ENCORE50A said:

I am not sure about that... he should be able to see and send PM's when he is accepted on to the site - he may not know that he got one or how to get to it though.

Look in to it Mike, I cannot find it now? But I remember this happening

by Renegadehunter » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:03 pm

Idaholewis, you sent me a pm that I can't respond to yet as there is apparently a specific number of posts required before pm can be used.
To answer your pm, I'm located in Lewiston.

sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:
ENCORE50A said:

Lewis is correct. Members need 25 posts to send/answer PMs. We had people coming to the forum and doing sales through PMs beating the system.

halloflin said:
sabotloader said:
Idaholewis said:

Lewis is correct. Members need 25 posts to send/answer PMs. We had people coming to the forum and doing sales through PMs beating the system.

That is a BUMMER! I sure hope I didn't agree to that!

sabotloader said:
halloflin said:
sabotloader said:

That is a BUMMER! I sure hope I didn't agree to that!

Probably not...We had newbies going to the Classified section and sending PMs for sales which circumvented the 25 post rule for the Classified section. Sort of defeats the purpose of having 25 posts don't you think?

Latest posts

Back