dry patch getting stuck help

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have one of the early RUM's with the rough bores? The first run had several. I know a guy that has been trying to get one to shoot for 4 years. At least he's persistent.

He's probably threw an additional 3 grand at that rifle in scopes alone, then God only knows how much in powder and bullets. Not to mention the hours, days, and years of frustration.

If it were my rifle, it would have been wrapped around a tree, long ago. He's still living the nightmare in Dream World.

what is the best way to tell if i have one of the rough bores?

remington uml, using a 2 1/2" circle patch, using a "lifetime" range rod with a spin jag (.50 cal)

i am using blackhorn 209 and shooting .50 cal bullets. i noticed after shooting a few bullets, they were getting harder to start and push down so i started running a dry patch after each shot. this helped quite a bit BUT!!!!,,,
almost every time, the patch goes down fine but when i try to bring it out, it lodges in there, couple times so hard, i have to removed breech and push it out (after the powder and bullet). i tried a 2" square patch to see if that would help but it really got stuck even worst. when the patches do come out, it is hard, like i put the gun on the ground, put my feet on the tip of the stock and pull like hell.

when they do come out, they have a lot of black , almost oily looking residue on it. maybe that is normal, i am not experienced enough to know.

any tips? i think the patch is catching on the stick carbon residue and wadding up.

has this happened to anyone else?

thanks for any help
Use a wet patch on your jag, follow up with a dry patch. Also invest in a patch puller!
Nit Wit

what is the best way to tell if i have one of the rough bores?

Buy an endoscope. Amazon carries them. They hook up to your phone or computer, with most allowing you to take photos and/or video. A 10mm will fit a .50cal, but you'll need to go smaller in size for a .45.
Here's a bad barrel right out of the box, never fired. Remember though, this was one of the very first rifles shipped. Remington verified that "a few" bad barrels got out in the first batch.

These photos were taken with the 10mm endoscope from Amazon.

Snap0001 in jpg.jpg

After 3 hours of constant attempts to clean the barrel...…

After all the work 3 jpg.jpg

As for the patch sticking, use a cleaning jab instead of a loading jag. It was mentioned above.

Boy that's ugly. I might have to pick up an endoscope though. I've looked at them a couple times just for checking out barrels and what have you. If I recall a 9mm should be about .355 so that should do everything I have.

Dah...…………. While playing with bullets and boring around at the bench, I pulled out the .450 Bushmaster and my 10mm endoscope. It dropped right in the barrel :rolleyes:

Put a patch on your hand lick it with a moist tongue and short stroke it down and it will never get stuck. Flip it over and finish with the other side of the patch and your done. Keeping it simple for 25 years.

Dah...…………. While playing with bullets and boring around at the bench, I pulled out the .450 Bushmaster and my 10mm endoscope. It dropped right in the barrel :rolleyes:

What is the actual diameter of the 10mm lens housing?

~ = approximately

7mm = ~ 0275"
8mm = ~ 0.315"
9mm = ~ 0.354"
10mm = ~0.394"
11mm = ~0.433"
12mm = ~0.472"
13mm = ~0.512"

Latest posts

Back