EGW Knight Muzzleloader Picatinny Scope Mount

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave19113

Reaction score
Has anyone used these pic bases on their Knights specifically the Ultralight?

http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rin ... unt-0-moa/

Im asking because I might have a chance to grab up a brand new Ultralight for a pretty good deal. The problem is I normally run a shorter LOP that what is stock on the Ultralights. Normally, like on my Mountaineer, I just had the wood lam stock cut down. With the fiberglass stock I dont want to cut then have to fill. Instead I was going to just set the scope back a bit to adjust.

Factory LOP is 13.5 Im around 12 3/4 so a little bit of scope setback would do the trick.

Ive used the rails on benchrest guns but never on a ML

The three holes appear to be on the short end of the rail. I am not sure this would move the scope backward. It looks like it is intended to move the scope forward.

Maybe this will help visualize.

Attachments

• EGW K rail 4.JPG
    EGW K rail 4.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 523
52Bore said:
Maybe this will help visualize.
EGW K rail 4.JPG

I think that would still work because in the past I would put the rear scope ring at the closest slot to the butt stock. That, again , was on a rifle.I guess the only way to test the theory is to try it. :D

I was planning on putting on a 3x9 Redfield Revolution, the scopes have ok eye relief

I have a Redfield 2x7x33 on 2 piece bases. It fits just fine on my 54-120 which is based on a DISC Extreme. Mine has the 3.7" relief minimum and seems to be fine.

IMO a rail wont help much for that application until you get into much longer eye relief or much longer scopes. I also don't like the looks of the EGW rail. The cross cuts are not full length. That cutout down the center was a bad idea, especially on aluminum.

Contact Knight about the base used on the Knight 500 or if you have deep pockets contact Murphy. I know they have made a base for Knights but its custom order. https://www.murphyprecision.com/

GM54-120 said:
I have a Redfield 2x7x33 on 2 piece bases. It fits just fine on my 54-120 which is based on a DISC Extreme. Mine has the 3.7" relief minimum and seems to be fine.

IMO a rail wont help much for that application until you get into much longer eye relief or much longer scopes. I also don't like the looks of the EGW rail. The cross cuts are not full length. That cutout down the center was a bad idea, especially on aluminum.

Contact Knight about the base used on the Knight 500 or if you have deep pockets contact Murphy. I know they have made a base for Knights but its custom order. https://www.murphyprecision.com/

Ouche... wooow.... yea my pockets are not that deep...lol

I have a few of those Redfields in 2x7 and love.... that might be another option to go with

Take a look at the base for a Knight 500. Its a 20MOA base though. They have a pic on the Knight 500 page. One of the guys here bought one for his rifle and said it was affordable.

GM54-120 said:
Take a look at the base for a Knight 500. Its a 20MOA base though. They have a pic on the Knight 500 page. One of the guys here bought one for his rifle and said it was affordable.

but would it help with setting the scope back a bit?

dave19113 said:
GM54-120 said:

but would it help with setting the scope back a bit?

It appears it would help but the objective may get a bit close to the front of the rail. There is a recess in the front to clear the objective end.

500-extras.jpg

Dougs136Schwartz said:
500 comes with 2 bases . 0 and 20

Their youtube vid says a 10MOA and a 20MOA. This is actually the first time i even noticed they include 2 rails

Dave
Here is a video if you want a better look at the rail to see if it will work for you
[youtube]12YqRfwSA9w[/youtube]

GM54-120 said:
Dougs136Schwartz said:
500 comes with 2 bases . 0 and 20

Their youtube vid says a 10MOA and a 20MOA. This is actually the first time i even noticed they include 2 rails

Dave
Here is a video if you want a better look at the rail to see if it will work for you
[youtube]12YqRfwSA9w[/youtube]

Yea, I watched the video... I think it might be an issue if I set the scope back it might make contact with the front bell..... lol.... if only things went easy...

It might be a sign or something especially since the Ultra light Im bidding on is fast approaching out of my price range.

280Bravo said:
I want one but the price is killing me. I'll just have to stick with my 45 dice elite. :cry:

My thoughts exactly. I found one on gun broker for a good deal but the bids went up so fast that its past my budget... It looks like I will be waiting a bit longer :cry:

Not long ago, Bestill was talking about having a 1 piece base made. I have a early prototype made by Lehigh. I think it would be great if it was just a tiny bit longer in front. Its rather tall so to keep the scope low it would need low rings.
QfR0Ns6.jpg

MdkKijX.jpg

I had another murpheys built in titanium that is longer and lower than the last, in 20 MOA. Awesome piece, but multiples in price.

here's the original, i dont have a photo of the new one yet.
g69xEhI.jpg

GM54-120 said:
Not long ago, Bestill was talking about having a 1 piece base made. I have a early prototype made by Lehigh. I think it would be great if it was just a tiny bit longer in front. Its rather tall so to keep the scope low it would need low rings.
QfR0Ns6.jpg

MdkKijX.jpg

Yea, I was hoping there would be a cheap affordable fix for dealing with the longer LOP but with the bases that could work become less cost effective then cutting and filling the stock then run standard ring bases. Ohhh the dilemmas....

i picked up some talley mounts for a mountaineer with plans to mount on my ultra light, I haven't done it yet, but I saw somewhere that I might need another base mount to mount the talleys which I wasn't planning on. my ultra light came with burris mounts, and my gun was a "demo" so a knight rep put the mounts on there. I have a burris E1 3x9 mounted on it.. was thinking of putting a 2x7 redfield and the talley mounts.. but i dont think there will be any gains besides a shorter scope, and less field of view so I kinda kicked the idea. I was also thinking about looking for a butt pad to extend the LOP.. anyone tried that on a UL?

Back