Elite 4200 vs Weaver Grand Slam vs VXII vs Nikon Monarch

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I'm looking to purchase a new scope for my primary inline muzzleloader. The above mentioned scopes can all be purchased for roughly the same price in the 3x9x40 models. Which would you choose and why? Thanks in advance for your input!

As I said in my reply to your other post I've looked at alot of scopes lately. I have not looked at the Grand Slam but have looked at the others. My choice would probably be the Nikon Monarch if you can still find the close out deals on them. I've seen them for around $220 and that is a great buy based on what I've seen. If not I would suggest the Elite 4200.

Elite 4200:
This is the scope I decided to put on my new Savage. It was a hard pick between this and the Sightron SII 3x9x42. I went with the 4200 primarily for the Rainguard coating and I liked the look of the reticle better, (fine section of the duplex is narrower), than the Sightron. It has a little less eye relief than the others but shouldn't be a problem unless you are a stock crawler.

VXII:
I personally don't think this scope is in the same league as the Nikon or Bushnell, (or Sightron SII for that matter), optically. I think you have to go VXIII to compare to the others. I'm not saying that I think the VXII is a poor choice. I have no doubt that it is a great scope. I just think the "L's" are over priced for what you get.

IMHO, I feel that the Sightron SII is in the same class as this group of scopes even though it's in your other price class. That's why I thinks its such a hell of a deal. I had such a hard time deciding between the SII and the Elite 4200 that it basically came down to a coin toss.

I'm sure that any of the scopes that you are considering will serve you well.

I have one more comment regarding my scope opinions...

To my eyes, the Elite 4200 and Monarch are optically very close to the Zeiss Conquest. When I was doing my scope shopping, I used the Conquest as my benchmark. To my eyes it shaped out in this order:

Conquest
Elite 4200/Monarch
VXIII/Sightron SII
Fullfield II/Aetec
Elite3200/VX1

If money was no object I would have selected the Conquest hands down. I just didn't see the $150 difference between it and the 4200 or the Monarch. And definately not a $200 difference between it and the Sightron. Man...I'm making that $200 Sightron sound better and better all the time.
The 4200 should be here in a day or two. Maybe I'll change my mind...again. :wall:

Elite 4200 vs Weaver Grand Slam vs VXII vs Nikon Monarch

I've owned them all but the Grand Slam...not nearly enough eye relief for me.. but probably a good scope.

Eye relief
1. Leupold
2. Nikon
3. Bushnell
4. Weaver

Weight
1. Leupold
2. Nikon
3. Weaver
4. Bushnell

Length
1. Weaver
2. Leupold
3. Nikon
4. Bushnell

W/e adjustment
1. Leupold
2. Nikon
3. Bushnell
4 Weaver :?:

Optically...Like I said I don't know about the Weaver but the other three probably come out close to a wash. Subtile differences here and there but not much if any actual in the field differences. Leupold really has no excuse for not including w/e adjustment knobs on the VX-II but really that is useful only at the range.. My vote goes to the Nikon Monarch 3-9X40..It really does EVERYTHING well and right now the price for admission is hard to beat!

Latest posts

Back