Great Scope Deal.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericcosh

Reaction score
Great Scope Deal.

I am not sure how many of you have heard of Nitrex but Natchez has some for sale and it is a really good deal. Nitrex is made by Weaver and if I understand it correctly they are phasing this line out. I think it may have to do with the new company that bought Weaver and that they are trying to keep the scope line simple without having two many "pokers in the fire" so to speak. I could be wrong but that is what I gather. Anyways, I by no means am a scope expert nor have I had any real expensive scopes like Nightforce, Swaro, etc. but I have had several that include Zeiss Conquest, Leupold VX-R, Leupold VX-3, Burris Fullfield, Bushnell Legend Ultra HD, and others.

I have been kind of focused on archery and haven't paid much attention to my muzzleloader and after selling the Leupold VX-3 off of it not long ago I have been needing a scope because early muzzleloader is approaching quickly. I didn't want to spend a lot of money but after having some decent quality scopes I didn't want something inferior. That is quite the situation being that you almost always get what you pay for when it comes to glass. After researching for awhile I came across the Nitrex and actually passed it up because of it's cost and being discontinued. But, after numerous reports of the scope being made in Japan (which is a good thing!!) and being compared to the Weaver Grand Slam I couldn't resist any longer. And...for $100 dollars it was certainly worth a try.

I found a Bushnell Legend Ultra HD 4.5-14x44mm at Cabelas for $199 and I got it. Gander Mtn. had one that I looked through before and it seemed to be a good scope (and it is) but after receiving it and looking through it for awhile and at low light I was disappointed with it's quality but for the price it is a good scope. Just not what my eyes was looking for (sorry GregK!). I sent it back and picked up the Nitrex.

Natchez has a couple different models to choose from and I got the Nitrex TR1 3-9x42mm in silver. The silver and gloss are both $100 and you can get the matte for 20 dollars more. They also have a 3-10x50mm for $130 which is outstanding but I wanted to keep my total to under $120 and if you have ever ordered from Natchez you know they charge about 16 dollars to send a scope to you.

So I received it in 3 days and I must say that the scope exceeded my expectations greatly. Not only do I think this scope is the best for $100 but I would say that it holds its own and then some compared to the $400+ scopes I have owned. I don't say that lightly either, it does! The image is very sharp and clear to the edges. The eye relief is listed at 3.5" and it is at least that. I haven't measured it but I do think it may be a little more but nonetheless it is certainly the 3.5" with no exaggeration. It keeps the same eye relief throughout the power range too which is nice. After getting pretty excited about looking through this scope I had to calm down because I still needed to test it at low light which I did. This scope did not disappoint at all and I was very impressed with it. I viewed through the scope starting at sunset viewing a treeline 200 yards away and I would have no problem taking a deer at that far at that time. I also did the same thing up to 30 minutes after sunset and again, 200 yards no problem. This was done by sitting in a dark room viewing out the front door as well. If I was outside I would of had more light. The turrets have very repeatable and positive clicks. They are not mushy what so ever. If I had to complain (which I am not) about anything I would say that I would rather have turrets I can grab on to more because these ones have the little piece down inside you turn. But that is very minor.

If you are looking for a great scope that doesn't cost a lot give the Nitrex a serious look. Once they are gone they are gone and that is it. Since it is made by Weaver I would venture to guess that if anything did go wrong with it they would take care of you. It does come with a lifetime warranty.

001_zps311016bc.jpg

002_zpsaf915255.jpg

004_zps3198a9d4.jpg

005_zps42142947.jpg

Re: Great Scope Deal.

wow that actually matches the SS damn near perfectly, if not dead on. Let is know how it holds up.

The silver on the scope is just a tad lighter in color than the barrel but they are close. You have to give it a good look to tell the difference. It is so hard to match up silver scopes and barrels so anything close and I would be happy. I also didn't feel like paying the extra 20 dollars for the same thing in matte black finish and didn't want the gloss black.

I've looked at those many times but never pulled the trigger. Reading this makes me wish I had.

No apologies needed, I want you to have what works the best for your eyes. I hope you enjoy it!

MLN1963 said:
I've looked at those many times but never pulled the trigger. Reading this makes me wish I had.
Yes I passed over them several times before and after doing some more research on them I decided to get one. I went to the range today and it performed excellent.

I bought a TR-two when they had them in stock and a 50 or 100 dollar rebate a few years ago from Natchez.  It is a 3-15x  and it is my favorite scope I own.  They are  a Weaver Super-Slam with the Nitrex logo and are an outstanding scope.  I think with the rebate I paid 200 bucks and a Super-Slam goes for upwards of 600 or more.  They are also made in Japan.  Ericcosh, do you know if the TR-one scopes also made in Japan, does it say on the bottom of the scope or on the box? Thanks, and a very nice write up!

I bought a TR-two when they had them in stock and a 50 or 100 dollar rebate a few years ago from Natchez.  It is a 3-15x  and it is my favorite scope I own.  They are  a Weaver Super-Slam with the Nitrex logo and are an outstanding scope.  I think with the rebate I paid 200 bucks and a Super-Slam goes for upwards of 600 or more.  They are also made in Japan.  Ericcosh, do you know if the TR-one scopes also made in Japan, does it say on the bottom of the scope or on the box? Thanks, and a very nice write up!

Sorry for the double post, not sure how I did that!

remmy1187 said:
Yes they are made in Japan. Says on the scope and on the box. From what I have found in research is that the TR-one is a Grand Slam and the TR-two is the Super Slam. Both are excellent scopes.

ericcosh said:
remmy1187 said:
Yes they are made in Japan. Says on the scope and on the box. From what I have found in research is that the TR-one is a Grand Slam and the TR-two is the Super Slam. Both are excellent scopes.
I couldnt agree more, I also have a Grand-Slam and they are very nice scopes.

I for whatever reason never considered Weaver in making scope choices but after getting this scope they will be strongly considered when making a decision on scopes.

The old Weaver K4 was a sweetheart in the old days. I tried one of the new Japanese versions, and it wasn't bad at all. Especially, for the price.

Although iron sights are even better.  :clown:

Muley said:
The old Weaver K4 was a sweetheart in the old days. I tried one of the new Japanese versions, and it wasn't bad at all. Especially, for the price.

Although iron sights are even better.  :clown:
Outside of European glass, Japanese glass is next in line as far as quality goes. Euro glass is going to run you though from just slightly under a 1k to well over it. If you had a Japanese version you had an excellent scope, not just a "best bang for your buck" type of scope. In fact every reputable company that I know of (again outside of Euro) outsources glass for the higher end scopes from Japan's plants or just has them make them. About the only exception I can think of is maybe U.S. Optics. I am not totally sure where they get there stuff but I did hear that everything they had was made here.

It doesn't bother me that Leupold uses foreign glass like it does some. They are even sort of up front about it saying that there is not anything here that meets their standards for their higher end stuff. Just a smooth way of saying that the U.S. can't make glass like Japan and especially for the cost. Glass that I really despise of though is Chinese....

It didn't bother me either. It looks better than the glass on old Leupolds.

Latest posts

Back