Elite Barrel Cool down

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawnT

Reaction score
Question to those of you shooting the Knight Disc Elite's, expecially the 50 cal. How long do you let the barrel cool down between groups? Do you find that you can only shoot 3 shots accurately before needing let it cool compared to Ml's with heavier barrels?

Thanks,

ShawnT.

Using Blackhorn i wait a couple minutes between shots. Using 777 i dont wait at all. Mainly because i'm spit patching between shots.

Outdoor temperature can really effect the way a rifle will shoot. When it is very hot outside, I often times take two even three rifles to the range and switch between them letting the one just shot, cool in the shade.

I will shoot the rifle, swab the barrel, set it in the shade, walk and check the target, return and shoot the next rifle, and follow the same schedule. By the time I get back to the original rifle I find the barrel has cooled and any effect barrel heating might cause is greatly reduced.

I have a friend that takes a cooler with him and actually wraps the barrel in towels that have been iced and cooled. He does his swabbing, wraps the barrel, target checking, etc and claims it helps his barrel heating issues.

When I do not do anything, I normally will get one flier in a five shot group. Is that from barrel heat or just my fault.. Who knows. But it is a good excuse.

When using sabot heat affects the plastic and it will affect the groups sooner and more than most believe.
My State AR has tempretures close to the hundred mark in June so we are already haveing to deal with it,I take three rifles to the range, fire one shot each walk down and look at the targets go back and have a cold drink the start over. Lee

i agree w/ lee 9 and it isn't just limited to sabot-shooters. when the heat gets about 90 degrees, and relative humidity is high (basically every day in MS starting toward the end of May), i get fliers and especially high shots if i dont give some cooling time between shots. i take at least 3 guns to the range at once. last outing with my .243, i was firing 3 shot groups from a cold barrel (i.e. take 3 shots, let the barrel cool all the way down, fire another 3 shots). without fail the first 2 would group nicely together, and the 3rd would be 1 to 1 1/2 inches high.

that being said, when i'm swabbing between shots with muzzleloaders, i usually don't wait between shots. i think this is a combination of (1) the damp patch helps cool the barrel and (2) i just take a long time to load.

i have fired a 1 1/4 inch 5 shot group at 100 yds with my white lightning using sabots, when the barrel was so warm that the forearm of the rifle was actually warm.

on the other hand, i have fired a 5 shot 12 inch group with my s91 where the 1st three shots were within 1" and the last 2 went all over the place. that was on a very hot day.

i can say that my groups seem to be consistently better in cooler weather .....

Thanks guys. I was asking about the elite because it had a tapered barrel. My MK95 does not have a tapered barrel on it and can go a couple shots more. I am just trying to figure out if my problems are heat related or just the nut-behind-the wheel.

ShawnT

Back