Elk Bullet Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered the wrong bullets for my muzzle loader. I ordered 230 grain hollow points instead of 230 grain aero tips. However, I like the way the hollow points shoot. Will the hollow points be just as effective on elk as the aero tips or will I not get enough penetration. I won't take a shot over 150 yards probably not over a 100. Thanks.

Edit- I'm shooting 110 grains of Hogdon Triple Seven FFFG.

You're right about the 230 grains! I had all of my 45 acp ammo out yesterday and that was still on my mind. We shoot 295 grain bullets not 230.

Sounds like your talking about Powerbelts. There are much better bullets to use, but that is your choice and I won't get into it. Havn't tried to shoot anything with them in years but from what I understand they MIGHT do ok if not pushed to hard. I'm thinking 110gr of 777 might be a tad fast. My opinion good luck on your hunt.

ronlaughlin said:
if it was me with the elk tag, i would use minimum the 338g bullet.

If you insist on using a PowerBelt....^^^^^This is the best answer^^^^

There are some very fine lead conicals though for a fraction of the price. Last time i priced the Bullshop conicals you could get 100 bullets upto 460gr for under $50 delivered. Thats pure lead, lubed and sized to your door.
https://bullshop.weebly.com/-bullet-prices.html

I would also recommend a heavier bullet for elk. Since you are using full caliber bullets, that should be easy to find. I've used 425 gr Hornady lead bullets out of a .54cal successfully on elk. They make essentially the same bullet in 385gr in .50cal. I would think to save those lighter bullets for deer.

Colorado Luckydog said:
I ordered the wrong bullets for my muzzle loader. I ordered 230 grain hollow points instead of 230 grain aero tips. However, I like the way the hollow points shoot. Will the hollow points be just as effective on elk as the aero tips or will I not get enough penetration. I won't take a shot over 150 yards probably not over a 100. Thanks.

Edit- I'm shooting 110 grains of Hogdon Triple Seven FFFG.

Since you live in Colorado and I assume you are hunting there you are required to use a full bore bullet. And since it seems you are using a Powerbelt bullets - I would really suggest that you use a heavier Powerbelt - much heavier!

With 110 grain load of T7 you will be driving the 230 out of the barrel at a very good clip, because of that there is a very good chance the bullet will break up when shooting an elk - especially if the bullet were to contact a bone or even mud on the outside of the animal caked into the fur. The closer the range the greater the chance. If you need to use a Powerbelt and it is an Aero Lite - I really would suggest a 300 grain version. If were any other version I would suggest at least a 348 gr.

Personally I would use another bullet. Probably a Bull Shop 460 gr. Thor also makes a full bore copper bullet that could work but a pearsonal friend really did not have good luck with them either.

Back