Encore and Bedding -- Mixed results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHunter

Reaction score
If anyone has bedded their Encore forearm, I'm curious what kind of accuracy you're getting. I did a full length bedding job on mine, torqued both forearm screws to 25 in-lbs, and I didn't get an improvement. Acurracy got worse.

Before I conclude the bedding didn't work, I want to make sure that I'm thinking of everything. Any ideas?

Hokiehunter,

Did you relieve the "rabbit ears" which is the forearm extension that covers the hinge pin??? That "rabbit ear" area is the primary area that needs to be floated.

On the T/C Encore/Pro hunter muzzleloaders all I "NEEDED" to do was
relieve the rabbit ear extension and for the most part that's all I needed to do. I did replace the hinge pin in one Pro hunter with a Bellum 1X.

Is your rifle a ML or a center fire??? The T/C centerfire forearms are a different matter all together.

Since you have already "floated" your forearm try placing a folded match book cover under the forend tip giving the barrel upward barrel pressure.

Chocdog

Actually, I bedded the forearm, so it is not floated. I also have a Bellm oversize hinge pin. The "rabbit ears" are completely clear of the receiver. I also did that during the bedding process. Seems like this thing should be dead on.

WHAT SIZE GROUPS WERE YOU GETTING BEFORE YOU BEDDED THE FOREARM AND WITH WHAT LOAD???

CHOCDOG

1.2" with 75.2 grains FFF (by weight), Barnes MZ Expander 300 grain, and MMP HPH-12 sabots. Win 209 primers.

Hokiehunter,

I will assume that your 1.2 inch group is for 3 shots at 100 yards. You have done the basics to you Encore frame and barrel for the most part.

If you are trying to get your groups under 1 inch I would experiment with different primers and or sutle changes to your powder charges.

Any BP rifle grouping under 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards has more than capable accuracy out to 200 yards as long as the shooter does his part.

Chocdog

HookieHunter,

Not to step on any toes here but I would look heavily into your form, bench and rest then more time at the range running different loads. I shoot the same gun and I have several loads that will shoot sub 1" groups at 100 yards. Only mod to my gun is the trigger.

I should also mention that weighing your pwder charges is often overlooked when someone is looking to print groups. 1.5 inch groups are not bad groups! Barrel harmonics are a big player when it comes to printing groups. Consistency is the name of the game here. Small differences in powder volumes change the pressures and harmonics in a gun more than I believe most would like to believe. For this very reason I don't shoot pellets. Just my 2 cents.

I did a spring swap on my trigger, it's now at about 3.5 lbs. It does help. In the coming months I will be having a full trigger job done, honing the sears etc. When done I'm looking for 2 pounds of pull and smooth as silk.

Here is my most accurate load, this includes swabbing between shots.

ProHunter
Leupold 2.5X8 VXIII
300 grain 45.cal XTP
MMP 3 PetalEz
100 grains by volume T7 2F
Win 209 primer

Every gun has it's own personality! It takes more time with some to find the right load. Occasionally there will be a lemon but even those will usually shoot well enough for hunting once you find a load it likes.

Put your money into different sabots, powders, and bullets vs gun mods, minus the trigger. Then range time will allow the gun to tell you what it likes.

Good luck!
Henry

This gun shot 1.2" before the forearm bedding. I did the bedding job in an effort to get under moa. My question really pertains to whether or not others with a fully bedded forearm have had positive or negative results by bedding.

10-4, no experience here with bedding a Pro Hunter. It will influence harmonics with more contact to the barrel. Experiment with loads.

Good luck,
Henry

Latest posts

Back