Encore breechplug how long do they last

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich44

Reaction score
Hello
I have a question on Encore and Omega breech plugs How long do they last
. I have had my Encore for about five years and changed plugs 3 times with probly about 100 shots in between new plugs I had been using Win 209 primers with 3 50gr Pyrodex pellets but just switched to 777 primers and 120gr losse fff T7 do you think this will make a difference.

I've heard it said:the hotter the load,the shorter the breech plug will last. That being said,I have the orginal breech plug from my Pro Hunter,that has been shot (alot) for two years, with 120grs. T7,and 3 Pyrodex pellets (150gr.)and a new one that I got this year as a back up. I measured the flash hole in both,and can't find any real diffrence. I've also shot both,and they shoot exactly to the same POI. I guess when your accuracy starts to go down hill,it's time to change. How many shots that takes,is still a mystery to me! Ron

I'm new to muzzleloading but I would certainly think you could get a lot more then 100 shots before it starts to ware. I think if it is properly cleaned, being stainless, it will last awhile. It never hurts though to carry a spare.

I have over 400 shots on both my Omega and Encore breach plugs and have not had any problems . The Omega is 6 years old and the Encore is 5 years old .
Charlie

sundowner said:
I have over 400 shots on both my Omega and Encore breach plugs and have not had any problems . The Omega is 6 years old and the Encore is 5 years old .
Charlie
Charlie,I think your right. I can't see any diffrence in the accuracy,or ignition between the new plug,and the orginal plug. The "new plug" has a diffrent face on it (deep concave recess) but shoots the same. I actually got the extra plug to use at the range. After shooting,I just clean the bore,and breech plug threads,then grease up the spare plug screw it in,and I'm done,and the gun is ready to go the next time. When I get home I clean the dirty plug,and dry it then put it in a zip lock bag,and throw it in the range box,ready for the next time I go shooting. Works really well,and 99% of the mess is left at the range,(in the trash can)! :) Ron

Back