Encore Locker hinge pin by Precision rifle

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaner

Reaction score
Anyone try this new locking hinge pin? I have had hinge pin problems. The Mike Bellm 1x pin helps, but still turn from time to time and changes POI. The 2x is not a fit without work and I want barrel interchangeability. Loctite is an answer, but it's a hassle and it take some set-up time. I have also had a couple times were it moved even with the loctite because I didn't get enough on it. I like the idea of the locking pin I could mark to index it with the gun so I can position it the same place every time and make sure it doesn't move with use. I am just wondering if anyone is using the locking pin and how well it is working.

Well I guess I will take the $39.00 plunge and find out for my self how it works. A 1x Bellm pin isn't holding consistent and on occasion rotates changing the POI a little and I don't want to go with a bigger. I like the idea of the new locking pin so here it goes. I will let you know what I think when I get it and try it out.

Gives a link to the product. I went to the website for a bit but didn't spot that hinge pin.

Looks like something worth trying. If someone gives it a try be sure to post up for the rest of us tight azzes. :oops:

Yeah,We are Cheap,but not easy :D I can see how it would keep the pin from shifting side to side,but what about,when the pin is undersized,and has a little play in it?

So far for me most frame and barrel combinations are only off maybe .001 or .002. For me the problem has been when the pin walks side to side or rotates around changing the POI. I have shot two 1 moa groups 2" apart based on the pin randomly shifting from one position to the next. In my ML I use the PR hornet conversion and a Mike Bellm locking bolt spring so I get good tight lock up. I don't think a perfect fit of the pin is necessary only consistent and tight lock up. I can get great groups with a standard pin if it's loctited in. The new PR pin is supposed to have a tight fit and it is machined a couple thousands short so when you tighten down it will pinch the frame and hold rotation position by compression. I assume it could adjust position a slight amount when you open and close it, but I think it will settle in after it?s closed once. I plan to install and tighten it just a little and close to lock the gun and hopefully settle the pint in position and then snug it down. I think this will set the pin position for shooting and that when the gun is opened it will be under very little stress and the pin will hold location. This is all just a guess at this point. I have one on the way and time off over the holidays so I will see how it works.

Look on PR's web site and i believe there is a solution that will work just as well and Cheaper to try. Try their HVAC tape on the hinge pin. Its listed under another Encore improvement.

It only works if your issue is that the barrel and frame pin fit is close and just a little more hold will keep the pin in the frame and override the friction of the barrel. A friend and I have both tried it. It has held for a short time, but before long the pin still ended up turning in the frame of our guns, and you can't tell if it has moved unless you take the tape off to check the position of the pin. I have some and I would be glad to send it to anyone who wants it for the price of shipping

HVAC tape

My Dad used to own a Pipe covering business (insulation). We had cases of the Mac-Tac tape, I will have to check if there is any laft. If I remember that adhesive that is used on that tape had a tendency to really adhere to metal surfaces. I would think that it would work OK if you did not need to be removing the pin very often. Otherwise it would seem like a hassle when trying to clean the pin surface for re-application.

I don't use an Encore so if anyone might possibly want that stuff, let me know. There should still be a case or two left as long as my Mom did not discard the stuff. Which type of the tape are they using, smooth or threaded?

Mike
[email protected]

Tape

I can buy a lot of aluminum furnace tape for $40.00 and it works good for me.

If your Encore is shooting well, why worry with the pin? If it is not, and if the pin is loose, try an oversized pin to see if it improves accuracy. The single best thing anyone could probably do to improve the accuracy of an Encore muzzleloader would be send it to David White and have him "fix" it.

http://www.precisionrifleworks.net/foru ... c.php?t=11

He has moved since posting that info so check the site for current address and contact info.

My Encore is worth the $30 I gave to Mike Bellm for the 2X hinge pin, and it DID help. Before that I used the aluminum furnace tape....embarrassing. I also added a custom trigger job. I only spent these additional $$$ because the gun is worth it. I guess I really don't understand why we have to be the ones to do the upgrades, especially on the hinge pins. S/B a matter of quality control.....IMO :?

I think too much is made out of the pin fit,syndrome! It's more important to "float the barrel" to get consistant accuracy. This gun (I know this is a ML forum) has over 4000 rounds through it. It still shoots MOA@200yds. The pin is allot more important on CF setups,than a ML. If a pin gets too loose you mess up your head space (we don't have this problem on our ML's). This gun is taken apart allot to change barrels,and it NEVER has to be rezeroed,period. The pin is not tight,but the barrel IS FLOATED. There is allot more effort put into these guns to get the barrel floated,than to worry about the pin. As far as accuracy goes,the scope IS mounted to the barrel,it could care less what the action is doing. But the barrel does care if pressure is applied to it in diffrent areas. If your pin has allot of play,go ahead and change it. But pay more attention to the barrel/forearm fit(or clearance) and you will have consistant accuracy! :D
HidngPin002.jpg

I have just recently purchased an Encore. Is there any previous posts/pic on how to relieve the pressure on the forearm?

If it is an ML you can just sand the forearm along the barrel and at the ears of the forearm so you take out all the contact points. This worked fine for me and tightened my groups right up.

I know people that have no issues with their encore, but others that do. A friend had the same issue as me and the tape fixed it. Then we put a 1x Bellm pin in and now it?s fine without the need for the tape. The pin stays in the frame and never moves. I think my main issue is my barrel. I think it has a pin hole that is smaller or out of line with my frame. Maybe it?s not square. I don?t know. It tends to turn the pin in the frame, but it is not so tight that it will keep the pin in position in the barrel. All is well until it takes a turn. I have marked my factory pin and frame and the Bellm pin is marked. I can shoot tight groups no problem as long as the pin stays in the same position. As soon as The POI changes I check and sure enough the pin has rotated to a different position. It would seam to me that this would not make a big difference. I really can?t figure out why it would affect POI, but it does or at least I have convinced myself it does. I have no forearm contact and consistent bench technique. My QLA is straight. The only variable I can find is the pin and it consistently makes a difference. For most people 2? or 3? groups are fine, I just don?t happen to be one and when my POI moves 2? it bugs me.

You can also gain ground on relieving any forearm pressure points by just adding some washers or other suitable shims in the forearm screw holes. Less sanding involved and works well.

pin

I bought an oversizrd 1x pin from Mike Bellm but it is way too tight making it a real chore removing and re-installing it and i don't want to buy the reamer to ream to the 1x size. I need a duck hammer (das anudder story :) ) to get it out and i'm talking a REAL CHORE. The furnace tape when trimmed right is not real noticeable and i'm not embarrassed one bit using it. Ah also had to duct tape my boots near the end of the season so i might be an embarassment also. The stock has a few dings in it too and they don't embarass me either, comes from use.

Back