Encore or R.E.M. 700

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My encore was stolen. I like the idea of 45 cal, but it seems everyone (majority)goes w the 50. Are there accuracy issues w the 45 or is it more about kinetic energy? Really liking the opinions, keep them coming fellas. Had plans on buying this weekend, but will definitely be patient and do some more research!

What effective range you looking to harvest game at ?

Are you hunting in a state that requires a .50 cal or larger for elk? Several of them will let you hunt deer with a .45 cal, but states like Colorado require a .50 cal or larger for elk, and no scopes or saboted bullets during the muzzleloader season.

Will you be hunting with a scope or sights? Full bore conicals, or saboted bullets? Just a couple things to consider.

Neither of your first two choices would be a rifle I'd want to take out west for hunting in the Rockies. I've got a light weight Stainless Steel NEF Huntsman that cost me $202 brand new, that thinks it's a White Rifle, that is a proven deer and elk killer. No animal has ever walked away from that rifle after the hammer was dropped. Not for more than 60 yards anyways!

Just need a rifle that fits you that you can shoot well. I certainly wouldn't buy any rifle that I haven't checked to see if it fits me first. I never liked the fit of the "dog leg" stocks on the Encores, and that RUM is also heavier than a dead preacher.

Only you can know what fits you, but there are a lot of other choices out there to consider.

Last edited:
My encore was stolen. I like the idea of 45 cal, but it seems everyone (majority)goes w the 50. Are there accuracy issues w the 45 or is it more about kinetic energy? Really liking the opinions, keep them coming fellas. Had plans on buying this weekend, but will definitely be patient and do some more research!
The 45 will shine at longer distances.
The factory 7.5# Encore I shot with a 4x score, damn near won the 1st in-line Match in 2013. Finished 2nd as the top 5 were all customs, but myself. It’s not so much the rifle itself as the load and shooter.
Besill and I were the only ones knock off all 10 silhouette in this match out of 36 shooter; bad weather, 40 degrees with a stiff breeze. 1/2 the group stopped after 200yd paper.
Buy what you like and feels good in the hands - then work up a load.
Practice and know what your gun does and you’ll be amazed.
9036E2B7-26E6-48CD-9254-3DF657D39D23.jpeg
300 meter pigs

here is a .50 for colorado elk, Knight on ultalite stock

The 45 of today is a very good rifle! But... as has already been mentioned there are caliber restrictions in many States. The 50 cal. is somewhat a universal caliber. Plus there is a wider assortment of projectile options for the 50 cal. than the 45.

All of this is not to say that the 45 is not a good rifle, it is and it is generally believed to have a flatter trajectory. For deer hunting or for really long range hunting it can be an excellent caliber.

At one time I had 4 fast twist 45's and today I am down to one! I am in Idaho, a state with 45 restrictions for larger big game animals. Also in northern Idaho where I hunt - there really isn't much flat land so the need for really long range shots so shooting 300-400 yards pretty much never happens. THEN... when Lehigh created their .451x230CF and with that bullet it closed the gap, for me, between my 50's and the 45's.

Either/or you really can not really go wrong.

One thing I really liked about the encore is the break action, unscrew the breach and instant access to the barrel. With the new knights what are the pros and cons for breaking it down to clean compared to the encore. That knight ultralight at 6.5 lbs is definitely intriguing!!

One thing I really liked about the encore is the break action, unscrew the breach and instant access to the barrel. With the new knights what are the pros and cons for breaking it down to clean compared to the encore. That knight ultralight at 6.5 lbs is definitely intriguing!!

For myself cleaning the Knight is really not that bad especially after you have done it a few times....

The one key thing is to get your breech sealed so that are no blow back gases escaping into the breech. If you were to get a Knight bolt, I would really suggest the bare primer option and shim your primer pocket to get a primer crush with whatever primer you choose to use. If/when that is completed your breech should be just like a breech on a center fire rifle.

Then cleaning the bore is a piece of cake....

Bore-Cleaning.jpg

Oops almost forgot you do need to clean and maintain the breech plug.

Back