Encore Pivot pins??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigman

Reaction score
Got a new Pro Hunter and ordered the Precision Rifle Pivot pin, but it's almost .002 smaller than the stock pin. Do they need to be tight to shoot well, such as Mike Bellm pins?? The TC rep at the local show this weekend says my stock pin is pretty tight, but dang I'm a machinist fabricator and I know better. It's got almost .0015 clearance. Just don't know which is more important on these guns!

Thanks

Mark

The factory pin is all you need... I have owned two Encores and now a Pro-Hunter, they all shot great with the factory pin. When accuracy problems arise it's a barrel problem not a pin problem. Good luck! :)

EvenT/C stock Encore pins can vary a few hundred thousands. The Mike Bellm 1X pin ($8.95) will solve 90% of the play in the frame hole. If not a 2X is available from MiKe Bellm.

Cecel Epps sells a locking pin because after sanding down the rabbit ears on the Encore/Pro hunter forearm a loose hinge pin will slide out of the frame hole always affecting accuracy. Cecel has only solved one issue with his locking pin. An oversized pin in a must to eliminate the vibrations at the front of the frame lock-up which effects accuracy. The hinge pin is the recoil lug of the T/C rifle.

This issue can best be equated to having loose screws in your scope mounts or a improperly set recoil lug in a bolt action rifle.

Mike Bellm is a "master" gunsmith who specializes in the T/C Encore rifle. Who do you believe??

Chocdog

The barrel to frame lock-up is solely based on the locking bolts, if they contact the frame correctly then you should have a tight and accurate Encore... hinge pins be darned!! :evil:

It is very important for the hinge pin to be tight! The Bellm pin solved 90% of my Encore problems. If the pin is tight it will not shift side to side.

flint head said:
The barrel to frame lock-up is solely based on the locking bolts, if they contact the frame correctly then you should have a tight and accurate Encore... hinge pins be darned!! :evil:

The locking bolts are the just the rear locking system..with out a tight front lock-up realationship between the barrel and frame how tight the rear lock-up is has little effect on accurate performance. :wink:

Chocdog

Pins!!!!!

You'd think the TC people would tighten up machining clearances to stay on top of this game. If I'd known about this before hand I would have NEVER bought this gun!! Piss poor quality control!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

Re: Pins!!!!!

Tigman said:
You'd think the TC people would tighten up machining clearances to stay on top of this game. If I'd known about this before hand I would have NEVER bought this gun!! Piss poor quality control!!!!!!!!!

T/C could increase the diameter of their hinge pin to the Bellm 1X size to improve the fit with-out the customer having to much trouble installing the pin correctly but that is not the issue.

I have had T/C factory service tech's tell me that they will recieve phone calls from Encore buyers after they get their new rifle home..."ask them how to open the action". :shock: :shock: Absolutely true.

I have spent enough of my early years in the "gun trade" to tell you the average gun buyer cannot even mount a scope correctly. I still see this at my local gun emporium as they mount scopes daily on guns and scopes they did not sell. No manufacturer can control who buyers their guns.

The diameter of the hinge pin is not about "quality control" it is about convienence.

If you want "quality control" call Mike Bellm. :D

While you are on the phone you may want to order a "trigger spring kit" to take the trigger pull down to 2 pounds...again not quality control...lawyers. :twisted:

There is an entire "industry" of after market parts for about every major gun manufacturer...Ruger, Remington Savage etc. some the after market parts available can be attributed to quality control but most
parts are an improvement to what the factorys should and often can't
do to to manufacturing costs limitations.

Chocdog

Bellm Pins!

The 1x really tightened the gun up along with the stronger locking pin spring! But I'm going to install the 2x after the season is over and ream the action and barrel as well as a trigger job!

Mark

Mark- IMHO you should reconsider reaming your Encore action & barrels. Once you do you will have to ream any other barrels you may acquire and your lifetime TC warranty is void. Also you may have problems if you decide to sell or trade your gun. I for one would not buy a barrel or action that has been reamed. I do use the 1X pin and it really helps but I would not ream a barrel or action.
Don

Warranty!

Don't mean anthing to me! I'd rather have a gunsmith do the work anytime. Cause the factory guys are there for a check and don't give a crap about quality!! Do you think the engine builders in nascar would tolerate these kind of tolarance differences! They wouldn't run long! Warranty is only worth who's standing behind it.

I have shot T/C Contenders for years,and the Encores (since they came out.) To check the lockup on a T/C break open gun: #1 remove the forearm,#2 close the action,#3 grab the barrel,and push-pull it up down,sideways,ect. If you feel play between the barrel,and action,You need a new pin. It makes NO diffrence how loose the barrel fits with the action open,ONLY when it's closed. What will effect the accuracy more than anything is the LOCKUP! Buy a heavy spring kit for the locking lugs. Spend that "pin money" on a good trigger spring kit,and hammer spring. The heavy hammer spring will speed up the lock time. Three springs(locking lug,trigger spring,and hammer spring) will do more for your accuracy than all the gadgets: pins,over size pins,adjustable pins,wedges,ect. in the world. Then if your gun dosen't perform,call T/C and have them look at the barrel. Ron

Ron speaks the truth! As I said previously, the barrel must lock up the exact same way every time for the gun to perform at it's highest level... hindge pins be darned! :evil:

Trigger job plus number 3 spring and at the range 4 shot group at 50yds came out to 1/2" x 1/2" using 3 50gr triple 7 , 250gr SW, ribbed sabot and Remington 209 muzzle loader primer. Spring and trigger worked wonders on my Encore.................................

Back