MK-85 vs. Encore vs. Ultra-Lite

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never handled a Knight Ultralight so I have no insight there. For what it's worth, I have had the exact same experience with my Encores as mentioned prior. If you're into accuracy, Bellm adapt it from the get go and I think you'll be very pleased. Especially adding an MGM barrel to the recipe. That combination will make a "box" rifle near custom in my experience.

Personally, I'd go .45 fast twist UL.... I wouldn't think twice about it.
I absolutely love my ultra lite 45, but you can certainly make that encore shoot excellent groups, but man that little knight is a gem

Guys, thanks again for all the replies. Since I have the Encore and I have no intention of selling it, I‘m going to order Bellm’s DIY Kit: Encore ProHunter EASY DIY Trigger job Kit AKA Ebay Kit. I’m also going to order the 1x and 2x hinge pins and a new firing pin.

I think that’s as far as I’ll take the upgrades, though. Rather than spend the money on a new barrel, I‘d rather buy an Ultra-Lite. I’m not a huge fan of the Encore design and ergonomics so I don’t want to put significant money into it.

So, for those of you who shoot Encores, can you recommend any powder/sabot/bullet combinations that are accurate and effective on deer in yours?

Last edited:
Do you know what i hate about this site, i always wanted to shoot up to 200 yards with black powder , could not really find the info do go at it, now by seen and starting to understand the possibilities i have the hitch , its all your fault now i will be looking to get organized todosomething about it. Thanks :elmer:and about scopes a good solid scope for this type of shooting would be any company, i do know that black powder guns are hard on scope, and how about the Remington. Thank Idaho, i do enjoy your explanation now i guess i will have to explain to the little women i need another toy;)

Guys, thanks again for all the replies. Since I have the Encore and I have no intention of selling it, I‘m going to order Bellm’s DIY Kit: Encore ProHunter EASY DIY Trigger job Kit AKA Ebay Kit. I’m also going to order the 1x and 2x hinge pins and a new firing pin.

I think that’s as far as I’ll take the upgrades, though. Rather than spend the money on a new barrel, I‘d rather buy an Ultra-Lite. I’m not a huge fan of the Encore design and ergonomics so I don’t want to put significant money into it.

So, for those of you who shoot Encores, can you recommend any powder/sabot/bullet combinations that are accurate and effective on deer in yours?
I can tell you what works good for me in my Encore Pro Hunter out to 250 yds.
300 Grain Hornady SST bullets in the red sabots pushed by 110 to 120 volume Grains of Blackhorn 209 powder. A good scope with BDC hash marks and an accurate range finder.

I have only shot my encore out to 150, with 100 grains 777 250 shock wave yellow super glide sabot, very accurate

Back