Encore Pro Hunter dose the job in Africa

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackkiss

Reaction score
I have been a lurker on this site for about 3 months and would like to think you for all the information I have been able to gather from all your informative post. Now I would like to let you see the fruits of all the help.

My father asked me to go on a trip to Africa and I agreed as long as I was comfortable with the outfitter because I planed on bow hunting and did not want a caned hunt. I went to SCI in January to meet with the outfitter and was pleasantly surprised that they where a no high fence spot and stock outfit and also where bow hunters themselves. Unfortunately I had become very busy with work and did not have time to practice with the bow to be comfortable enough with my shooting for a trip to Africa.

Fortunate for me we where at SCI and my outfitters booth was close to the Thompson Center booth and I noticed the PRO Hunter muzzleloader. I had been an avid muzzleloader shooter as a teenager owning a Kentucky and a Hawkins rifle. I went back to the outfitter and asked about hunting with muzzleloaders they said that they did not have a lot of experience with them but they where up for the challenge.

Well form the pictures you can see they where up for the task. I had a great time and every hunt was a challenge. I will not hunt any other way in the future.

Black Wildebeest
200 yard shot double lung heart shot
DSCN0197_resize.jpg

Duiker
50 yard shot double lung.
DSCN0311_resize.jpg

Mountain Reedbuck
85 yard shot double lung heat.
DSCN0309_resize.jpg

Impala
80 yard shot double lung.
DSCN0359_resize.jpg

Warthog
172 yard shot double lung.
DSCN0448_resize.jpg

My father?s pictures

Lechwe
IMG_0300_resize.jpg

Red Hartebeest
IMG_0348_resize.jpg

Duiker
DSCN0339_resize.jpg

Black Wildebeest
DSCN0338_resize.jpg

Impala
DSCN0430_resize.jpg

Bush Buck
DSCN0428_resize.jpg

And the best of all my Kudu that should be a new muzzle loading world record. Shot at 80 yards double lung.

DSCN0407_resize.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Andy

Dang looks like you Guys had a good time.Did you leave any critters. :D

oneshot

Thanks for sharing your pictures. How long was your hunt. What's a ballpark figure for a hunt like that? I would love to put together a hunt like that before I retire.

A nice set of photos. I think many of us would like to hunt there someday.

Spectacular animals! Thank you for sharing, looks like you guys had a great time!

What was the load you used?

We where on a 15 day hunt and it came to about $9,000.00 each with the trophy fees and air fare to Africa and worth every penny. My father and I are planning our next hunt already and it will be for Cape buffalo with the Muzzleloaders.

We where using 150 grains of triple 7 pellets and Barnes 250 grain TMZ that combo worked flawless. Both of our guns shoot sub 1 inch groups at 100 yards with this combination so no need to experiment with lighter loads.

As for shooting a lot of animals I passed on way more animals than I shot. It is amazing how much game is in Africa. The Kudu for example I hunted for 2 days and could have killed 2 that where around 48 inches but the outfitter said if I waited we where going to an aria that I could get one that was 50+ on the second day of hunting that aria I shot the one pictured and he was 55 inches. The last day of hunting I was after a Kudu that was 58+ but we could not get close enough for a shot and I wish I had because the VS network came to film the hunt. It is strange having a camera man follow you.

That looks like a GREAT hunt! I hope I'll get to go one day! Thanks for the photos and story!

pics

Incredible pics! I'm afraid your post isn't helping my desire to get to Africa with my ML. On my agenda is a mountain caribou first, maybe save a few $ for a few years and get that Africa trip done. I could only hope my success would be as good as yours....Congrats on your hunt. :D

Like the rest of you many of us wish to hunt Africa. I have hunted there many times, all in my dreams. Hopefully someday I will be able to hunt there in reality before the body gets too weak. I am sure more good information will follow on this hunt.

You hunting party certainly shot more animals for $9,0000 than you would have shot on an Elk hunt.

Excellent results with the Barnes TMZ bullet. I be your PH were impressed.

Choc-dog

Great hunt report & outstanding pics!! Much congrats!!

As a TC Pro Hunter owner myself....i understand why it was the your choice of ML for the hunt! :wink:

Latest posts

Back