Evapo Rust on Rusty Muzzleloader Bore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Years ago i swore to never ever tackle another rusty muzzleloader barrel. The husband of a relative brought me his otherwise nice CVA Optima.

Front 14-16 inches of the bore cleaned up nicely and has no rust. After working on the bore for a couple hours the grooves in the rear of the bore were filled with scaly rust.

Rifle is sitting breech down full of Evapo Rust. Question: How long to leave Evapo Rust in the bore?

I would plug the breech and fill the barrel with Evaporust and let it set for a day. That should remove all the rust in there. Just be careful not to get any on the external surfaces of the rifle as it will remove the bluing.
You can pour the Evap into another container for reuse if you desire. After you empty the barrel give is a good swabbing with some dry cloths followed by alcohol patches and then a patch of good gun oil. That is if you can get the breech plug out. If that is stuck re-plug it (a toothpick works) and dump some liquid wrench into the bore after removing the evaporust. Let that set for another day.
Seems like some one else was asking the same Q a few weeks ago

What do you guys use to plug the barrel when using Evapo-Rust?

Latest posts

Back