Evapo-Rust

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
When I received my CVA .58 Flintlock, the barrel looked like it had been thoroughly cleaned and put away for quite some time without ever going back to run an oil patch down the bore.  There was a very light surface rust in the grooves.  I worked quite awhile trying to get it clean but couldn't.  I ran to the auto parts store and picked up a bottle of Evapo-Rust.  I plugged the touch hole with a tooth pick and filled the barrel up to the top and let stand for two hours.  I then ran some patches wrapped around a bore brush and finally some plain patches with bore cleaner and then oil.  My barrel now looks like brand new, shiny clean.

001_zps62e9d89e.jpg

thank god! That would have been a true shame to have it rusty. Glad you came out on the good end!

Used   Evapo-Rust   
empty.gif
in the T/C Big Boar  bought. Even though the barrel was shot. the E-R Did get rid of the rust. I like it

sqezer

You own all those inlines you listed in your posts?
OMG!! You should seek Mayo Clinic for your addiction. :cheers:

triplese7en said:
sqezer

You own all those inlines you listed in your posts?
OMG!! You should seek Mayo Clinic for your addiction. :cheers:
Actually I think he's already cut back!
lol.gif

Cut back, hell no, I just added a few more. It sure is nice to have the wife working days. :Salute: . My grandsons get home before the wife so if anything shows up at the house they make sure it goes into the shop before she gets home. :lol:

And I thought that I was the only one that had to work around the wifes working hours. The other day UPS stopped out in front of the house and she asked what did you order from Carlos now, He got out of the truck and went across the street, she didn't say anything after that.

Dave

sqezer said:
Cut back, hell no, I just added a few more. It sure is nice to have the wife working days. :Salute: . My grandsons get home before the wife so if anything shows up at the house they make sure it goes into the shop before she gets home. :lol:
A few years ago I bought another competition shotgun and then started thinking my wife might have a problem with it.

:Lights:  So I disassembled it and carried it into the house in a box.

When she asked me what it was, I told her it was a box of gun parts (which it was) and I was thinking about making a lamp for our family room out of the stock or a floor lamp out of the whole gun (which might have been cool, sorta).

She said "the heck you are", so I took it upstairs, reassembled it, put it in a case and into the gun cabinet.

It's been my back up competition gun ever since.

Did feel a little bit like a rat :evil: ... but I got over it.

Back to the original topic...

When you use the Evapo-rust, what kind of residual does it leave?

I mean, does it COMPLETELY dissolve the rust, just convert it or leave any kind of material behind?

Does it do anything to the "base" material?

After reading about it, I have a couple projects I'd like to try it on.

Well....in my case, the directions say to soak for 1 to 12 hours depending on rust.  Mine was pretty mild rust so I chose 2 hours then rinse off with plain water.  After I rinsed it off with hot water , lthe barrel looked real good.  When I ran the bore brush with a patch wrapped around it the patch came out out a little dirty looking.  But after a few more patches with bore cleaner and then an oil patch the barrel was spotless.  It's not harmful to the metal.  Not harmful to skin either.

Thanks.

Yes, I did just go to their website and read up on it.

Looks good.

The website did say that the stuff WILL remove bluing if left in it too long.

I did spill a little on the barrel, of course, when I was filling the barrel up to the brim.  But I just wiped it off with a paper towel.  Nothing happened to any of the bluing.  I removed the barrel from the stock and had the end sitting in a Tupperware dish to catch any overflow.

I recently traded for another CVA  .50 Hawken. I haven't shot it yet, but it seems to chew up a lot of cleaning patches. You guys think this stuff might help me out?

-Joe

Hi Joe,

The Evapo-Rust will remove rust however it won't smooth out the bore.  I've read some good recommendations on the forum for Remington 40X Bore cleaner.  I believe that would help polish the bore.

Latest posts

Back