Ever had a weak 209?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prostreetcamaro

Reaction score
I ask because during our early 3 day muzzleloader season I had a doe walk past me at 60 yards (I have seen very few deer this year) so I scope down on her with my disc elite thinking easy shot and POP missfire with 777 loose powder (fresh powder) and winchester standard 209. The primer sounded weaker than normal. Then again maybe it was because I dont normaly pay attention to the way they sound.

Now I didnt unload the gun for 3 days but I have never had this happen before. The temps were in the 50's all 3 days and I cant immagine moisture caused the problem. I walked back to my father to leave the woods and decided to try another primer and the gun fired so instantly I didnt even hear the primer go off.

Well he shoots a Huntsman and they are know to have weaker ignitions so I shouldered his gun and it fired instantly and his gun has been treated exactly the same as mine during these 3 days.

So do you think its possible I had a weak primer or was something else the cause of the miss fire?

I have been having such a bad season seeing almost no deer all season that when the gun didnt go off I almost wrapped it around a tree litteraly.

Yes, I have had bad primers. It happens. Sounds like that doe had a lucky day.

Back