Fat Fingers and 209 primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum

Reaction score
Sometimes when it's cold out while hunting I've had a hard time handling the 209 primers. This is my solution that doesn't cost much at all. I cut strips of Ty-ek house wrap, punch an undersized hole in each end, press the primers in one end and loop the other onto my lanyard ring. Comes time for a primer I just snap the tab off the ring and load up in my Remption or Omega. The tab gives a good handle to load and remove the spent primer also. I close the action right on the strip with no adverse effects. It's tough stuff and I've never had an issue while hunting. Hope the photo works.
Magnum

Attachments

• IMG_0265.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 252
I like that too! I have my bare plug conversion coming from bestill soon for a disc extreme, but am wondering if my cold fingers will work in loading a bare primer. That "handle' might work.

Now that looks like a handy little thing to have in the pocket.

It is handy. I never liked having to unscrew a tube cap, dump the primers on the ground, pick em up to load one up.

For the break open guns, that looks to be real handy. Nice rig. :yeah:
For my Knights with the Lehigh bare primer setup, it wouldn't really work. I don't have an issue anyhow... I just hold it up to the slot and drop it in place. I use a rubber primer caddy to hold/carry my primers. I don't keep them in a tube or loose in a pocket.

Ahhh, American Ingenuity at work!! That is a great idea. You ought to patent it and sell it. :D

Same principle would work for those shooting Musket Caps.

Good idea. I think TC or CVA has a metal tool of a similar design for primer removal but less for installation.

Back