Favorite cowboy single action for .45 Long Colt?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like an 1860 then get one and a conversion cylinder

You just gotta watch your load power

Otherwise the only correct answer is a Colt SAA

I am looking at several pistols.

Cimarron Preacher 45LC and .44 BP Cylinder. 8" (Much like a Walker). Questions are heavy 4.2 pounds and have to remove either cylinder to load and empty the LC. Maybe not that big a deal that the lever pull the arbor out and cylinder comes out easy. Top Strap sort of like a Remington.

Angel Eyes, similar to Preacher.

below are .45 Long Colt and have loading door to add and remove cartridges. Weights are about 2.5 pounds

Tuco - 45 Long Cylinder. 7.5"
Richard-Mason (Open Top) 45LC
1872 Open Top Army Colt -- 45LC

Last edited:
I put a .45LC conversion cylinder in my ROA. Since im already used to shooting it, it made an already great gun even better. I would love to have another Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC theyre awesome SA guns but i think the pair of vaqueros would be a good choice too, lighter and have a loading door.

I put a .45LC conversion cylinder in my ROA. Since im already used to shooting it, it made an already great gun even better. I would love to have another Ruger Blackhawk in 45LC theyre awesome SA guns but i think the pair of vaqueros would be a good choice too, lighter and have a loading door.
I like the flexibility of having two cylinders IF I can load .45LC without pulling the cylinder out. But the Colts I see are like the heavy Walker style, but with two cylinders.

I also see conversion cylinders that either need to be taken out to reload 45LC and maybe the gun needs to be sent back for gunsmith work.

I want a .45LC that looks like my 1860 Colt

Last edited:
Too bad Clement's Custom isn't still in business. Worked magic with the ROAs

Take a look at the Taylors & Co. 1860 Army Long Cylinder Conversion chambered in .45 Colt. It is what I believe you are looking for. I have one of the first lot that were produced. They had a blued grip frame and blued backstrap. The one's now have the brass grip frame and blued backstrap like all the other 1860 Army Cap & Ball guns. What I like about this one is the rear sight is on the bbl. not just a groove in the hammer. The Cimarron Tuco Special also has the rear sight on the bbl. which creates a much better sight picture. My Tuco is a tac driver with my handloads of 7.3 gr. of Win. WST powder along with a Sierra 200 gr, V-crown bullet.
1709992131322.png1709992111861.png

Last edited:
When I first started CAS Vaqueros ruled. And I used them like most. Then I thought why keep Queens safe? So I used these 45’s. The stag & ivory SAA’s were my go to pieces in 45LC.
Pieces depicted range from 1900 to 1995.

Attachments

• IMG_0985.jpeg
    IMG_0985.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
When I first started CAS Vaqueros ruled. And I used them like most. Then I thought why keep Queens safe? So I used these 45’s. The stag & ivory SAA’s were my go to pieces in 45LC.
That’s a fine collection right there!

What is the one between the ivory and the stag? Antique finish? That would match my 1860 Colt McColloch.

It takes about a minute to convert my Uberti 1860 Army between .45 acp and C&B. Loads from the rear through Loading Gate.
I'm thinking about converting my Centaure 1960 Army to .45 LC.

Don't know how to post a photo.

Latest posts

Back