Favorite turkey call?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

Reaction score
I will state that my absolute favorite and effective turkey call is the mouth diagphram. I know that some swear by slates, boxes, push buttons, etc but for me, the mouth call seems to be the most effective here in Massachusetts.

I remember one year my dad and I scouted and hunted this one spot that we thought we had to ourselves. Well, we arrived in the dark and set up only to have two guys set up about 50 yards from us. Needless to say I wasn't the happiest camper but I didnt move. It seemed that try as they might with their box call,. the bird only responded to my mouth call.

To make this short, Dad and I shot two nice gobblers around 18 lbs each.

So. What is your favorite?

Lynch Box for me but just bot a Cody Slate that may give the ole Lynch some competition. :lol:

I am sure we all have turkey vests that are full of various calls and many more at home in a drawer.

Over the years some of my calls have stood the test of time. Mouth diaphragms have always been my favorite. They have the obvious advantages of no movement while working the call and leaving both hands free. Also I they are not weather dependent. I can also make many more tones, pitches and volumes than friction calls. You can make all calls from kee kee runs to fly down crackles.

I do use other calls, because the month can get sore and dry after a couple of days of diaphragm calling.

My favorites are:

Mouth diaphragm: Quaker Boy - Old Boss hen
Slate: Primos - The Freak Call
Box Call: Lynch - World Champion

I've called a BUNCH of turkeys in the last 10 years or so with an H.S. Strut Black Magic aluminum w/ a rosewood striker. Nothing fancy....just an off the shelf call. I like it so much I bought another one last year off Ebay just for a backup in case I ever lose mine! A close second would be an American Friction Cut-N-Paddle boat paddle box call. These two calls are the ones I go to the most!

My favorite call is a Primos deadly double followed by a Primos true double both diaphragm calls. I have a box call made by a local fella don't know his name but it sounds pretty good too. Mainly use the mouth calls.

Don

Liked my Cody Turkeyline slate that much bot a Cody Woodsman (slate) at Cabelas today. Ouch....$49.99. Of course, I spent over $200 for other necessity items to pick-up that Club $50 voucher & cashed in about $38 in Club Points!

Heck, I got that Cody Woodsman for FREE!!! :lol:

Lynch #102 world champion is my favorite. Also have a Lil' Deuce glass call, and a Butski one-hand box.

One of these days, I need to learn to use a mouth call.

Gosh how do you pick just one. Well my all time fav is a Lohman walnut slate. Many a gobbler has fallen to this one. I have a vest full of different calls but all my favorites are slates. :wink:

After about a month of more playtime, i now elect my Cody Woodsman (slate) as my Favorite! We will see if Mr. Gobbler votes the same! :lol:

Back