Feathers VS Vanes??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I prefer vanes
At 250+ fps the loss in speed doesn't excite me. Feathers are neat :) on birds. With current rests that don't touch the fletching they really aren't an advantage.
charlie

Loggy said:
Which do you prefer?

I have always been a feather fan!
Me too! I've always used feathers. They require a little more maintenance than vanes but if you have a decent fletcher, you can handle the job yourself. I build my own arrows from bare shafts anyway so it's not a problem for me.

Loggy,
Absolutey outstanding article....it reinforced all the reasons I use feathers. thanks!
I copied it to share with others. Keep em comin dude 8)

Your welcome Spit, it covers the difference pretty good. I just came upon it. Now I understand when some of my "not go good" releases seem to correct in flight! Ole Loggy needs all the forgiveness thats offered. :lol:

I have used both, and have gotten great flight from both, but they both have advantages and disadvantages. The worst thing about feathers is keeping them dry. If you get caught in a real downpour and the coating wears thin, then you have a real mess. They will normally dry out decent, but they never seem to make it back to the way they were right off the fletching jig.

Now grouping vanes all into one catagory is a big mistake too. Sure, they showed lots of flutter on those arrows moving fast, but let me put a flex-fletch set of vanes on that same arrow. You won't get a bit of flutter from them! Plus they have excellent memory and will always return to their original shape when run through a target or something in the field. Very tough too. I am getting ready to try some of NAP quick spins to see how much a gimmick that is.

After reading the article, and getting my juices flowing about feathers again, I went a fletched up three with feathers real quick and will be testing them again this afternoon. I am looking for the absolute best setup I can get for Co. this year, and I am testing a lot of things right now so I can have a couple of solid months to feel good about what I am taking out there. I don't want to start testing the week before. I gotta know now if what I want to do. As long as I can get the stuff that keeps them dry to stick on them, and hopefully the new Catquiver VII backpack I am getting in will work well, I might just opt for feathers for Co this year! The hood on the quiver holds the fletchings up inside so they would be protected from the rain and moisture on tall grass and whatnot if they are up inside the hood. Hmmmmmm.

Thanks for the link Loggy, you got my mind racing again!

Bob, what I always do is put 2 vanes in the quiver in case of heavy rain etc. Needless to say be sure that your comfortable with how they fly.

I have been back & forth between both for years but it seems like feathers will provide the best performance time in & time out.

Loggy said:
Bob, what I always do is put 2 vanes in the quiver in case of heavy rain etc. Needless to say be sure that your comfortable with how they fly.

I have been back & forth between both for years but it seems like feathers will provide the best performance time in & time out.

Well, the verdict is in. I went and shot my vanes side by side with my feather fletched arrows and the feathers were absolutely grouping better without a doubt tonight. Maybe it's just because I read that article, but my groups at 20 yards with vanes were about and 1"-1 1/4" and my feathered shafts were almost always touching. These are three shot groups too. I'm still going to be running some extensive tests in the next few weeks, but if I had to go to Co tonight, I would be sporting feathers for the trip!

Great shootin Bob! Hell, thats almost as good as those Super 91's!! :lol:

Loggy said:
Great shootin Bob! Hell, thats almost as good as those Super 91's!! :lol:

Well, it's getting close......

I am looking forward to the High Country Archery TSSR bow I have coming in. I should have it in a couple of days. Mass weight on just the bow.......drum roll please........2.4 pounds!!! With all the accessories I bought for the bow, I'm hoping to keep the weight under 4 pounds. If I end up using the Cat Quiver and keep the two piece quiver off the bow, I might can keep the bow at 3.5 pounds max!! I'll post a report once I get it in and tuned. I expect it will have a bit of hand shock and be a bit noiser than my Outback, but all the reports I have read say it will surprise you. Me elbow is hurting after the short session I had tonight, and it is all due to the total weight I have on that Outback. That is one heavy bow!!!

Loggy I dont shoot much anymore but Im a feather man.

When I had my bow shop I fletched 100 doz feathers to 2 doz vanes for my customers. The main reason is most customers asked what I prefer and I prefer feathers. Fletching arrows was also a large part of my business.

Some of the guys that swore by vanes that had broadhead flight difficulties changed to feathers after I tuned their bows for them. I always found a slight to hard helical will "OVER" control the large three and four blade broadheads I like to use for best results.

I really dont worry about feathers going slick on the shaft when they get wet in the rain. If it is raining hard enough for my feathers to go slick on my shaft my big a _ _ is going to be sitting in the truck. I dont want to shot a nice buck and lose the blood trail in the rain anyway.

When guys asked me about hunting in the rain I just recommended putting a bread bag over the feathers like the old guys did back in the day.

This may sound kinda old school since archery has really evolved in the last decade but I guess Im kinda old school anyway.

iisabigone

I've shot feathers for many years but was seriously thinking of getting plastic vanes on the next dozen carbons. It's not that I have been unhappy with feathers. They shoot great. And I am finally getting to where I need more arrows. My biggest grip is of course hunting in the rain, but also when you shoot an animal and the arrow passes through, it can take for ever to get the feathers clean and even then they are not always 100% clean to me. They always seem like they are a little ... I don't know how to describe it. That was the reason I thought with the next dozen I would go with plastic vanes because I figured the would be better in the rain and on a pass through...

Feathers are more forgiving however with a release aid it is not quite the issue it was with fingers. To clean feathers just take a pot of boiling water and steam them they will be as good as new.
Redclub

Redclub I actually tried steaming the blood and what not off the feathers once and ended up loosening the glue the person that made my arrows used to hold the feathers on. I took the arrows back to him and he re-glued them but what ever he used the second time never held.

On my target arrows I do not care what they have. On my hunting arrows I always used 4 white 4" right helical vanes.

Great Info Loggy! I wish I would have read this prior to fletching a dozen new shafts with vanes. A going out of business at an archery had vanes and feathers priced the same..... low_____. I use to shoot feathers long ago on fiberglass shafts flighted out of my old Ben Pearson Spectre recurve. I have decided this year to try my old Bear Grizzly 60# on them timber goats. I have been shooting it for last 3 weeks. Kind of like riding a bike it all comes back easy. Oct 1st is the start of our season here in Illinois. Good luck to all!

I shoot vanes because of the durability and resitstance to water. I have however shot my best ever groups when using 5" rt helical feathers.
Pocampo

I used to shoot feathers but now shoot vanes.
The vanes are much quieter in flight, weather is not a issue, and they make for a quicker arrow.

Feathers is my Choice...

I prefer feathers... I have tried vanes but seems that Feathers are more forgiving and seem to make my two blade 125 Magnus Stingers fly extremely well. I have some of the Bohning Blazers that I am going to fletch so arrows with some say that they are as good as a 4 inch fletching being they are only 3 inch and slightly taller seems to give them some good fly characteristics. this year I finally switch to carbons and am using Gold Tip 7595 XT's Took the only deer I saw this year during Bow Season a 5 Pt Buck... At 18 yards it was a pass thru and the deer only went maybe 50 yards and piled up. I was using 2514 till now...

I shoot an Oneida Lite Force Magnum compound, use a DeadNuts Pro II Sight, and a Pollington Pro Grip Release w/ 7595 XT W/4 inch white feathers and 125 Magnus Stingers a nice combination. Though the bow is 8 years old it still kills deer and is nice to shoot with a smooth draw.

Mike/LFM

Latest posts

Back