Feathers VS Vanes??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really like feathers but didnt like constantly replacing them and worrying about getting them wet. didnt like the noise they made when they get ragged.

shoot blazer vanes now and really like them.

Nic_58 said:
Loggy said:
Which do you prefer?

I have always been a feather fan!
Me too! I've always used feathers. They require a little more maintenance than vanes but if you have a decent fletcher, you can handle the job yourself. I build my own arrows from bare shafts anyway so it's not a problem for me.

I shoot feathers now and find that they require much LESS maintenance than vanes. I was continually ripping up vanes, whereas you can shoot right through the feathers many times and they still keep their form and accuracy.

Do any of you use the feathers from a wild turkey that you shoot? Barred feathers are stronger than white and I was just wondering how wild birds would be.
Redclub

I've had both and shot both. I like to look of feathers but seam to alway end up hunting wth vanes...

I shoot feathers with my recurves and vanes with my compounds.

The feathers are more forgiving and recover faster from a shoot around rest on a recurve.

The vanes are more durable and develop more speed with a shoot-thur rest.

Weather Proof would go to vanes.

I make my own arrows, so vanes are also easier to fletch.

Great article! I have been giving thought to going back to feathers this fall and this has made the decision easy...

Latest posts

Back