Federal BOR Lock MZ bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotus

Reaction score
Any help is greatly appreciated. Ive been attempting to locate the Federal BOR Lock MZ 350 grain .50 cal. bullets for black powder season. I have successfully used Barnes MZ Expanders for years and believe they are the best bullet out there. My question is this, has anyone successfully used the Federal BOR Lock bullets and how do they compare to Barnes MZ Expanders? Also, if your a Federal BOR LOCK fan, where can you find them to purchase?

The 350 gr BOR Locks have been impossible to find for some time. You see the 270 copper versions for sale but not the lead. A bunch of us stocked up on the 350s (seconds) from Grice Gun Shop last year. So if you got in a pinch someone could send you a few I’m sure.

Lots of info on this forum about them. @txhunter58 killed a bull last year with the 350.

Here’s one thread

https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/350-b-o-r-lock.42124/#post-393211
Tough to beat a Barnes though.

My only BOR lock experience Is the 270 grain. It's all I use for hunting in my in-line.
The one in the pic was recovered from a doe I shot last season. Dropped where she stood. Traditions Buckstalker 50 cal/2 50gr 777 pellets/BOR Lock 270gr at 150yds. Found it on the back side when I skinned her.

Attachments

• 20230406_062145.jpg
    20230406_062145.jpg
    627.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221124_083321.jpg
    20221124_083321.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 0
Excellent advice, except I like the fact the Federal BOR Lock has a built in sabot to it. It's part of the bullet and it cleans the barrel when you ram the bullet down!

I can’t say too much. I’ve used Barnes for almost 2 decades - the gold standard. Out of myself and 4 others in my team that use them, we’ve never lost an animal as long as we did our part. That’s saying something. Deer pass thru. Elk, not so much. Always fatal but more than 50% of the time the slug is under the offside hide and sometimes isn’t as quick lethality as I wanted. But maybe that’s just because some of those suckers are tougher than nails! I really want two holes thru for security and tracking. So this last season I went with Hornady SST and that’s what I got. Thru and thru and quick down. Had success with SST in the past but I decided our success with Barnes shouldn’t be messed with. Obviously this is only in states that are sabot legal. Still working on the magic pill for the full bore states. Long winded way to say don’t mess with success even though I did, but have removed my head and got back on track. 😂

See my thread "took the 700 out". I shot the 350 Borelock and 290 TEZs side by side.
I picked up 7 packs of the Federals this past winter for $12 a pack. They were seconds - loose tips. But shot great. I did find that my spinjag loading tip wasn't the best for them as it cut into the tip and pulled one bullet out of the plastic sleeve.

Back