Final Advice...Correct Load for the Savage

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

couplers

Reaction score
I just picked up the new Savage last night and can't wait to hit the range. However, the gun shop where I made the purchase only has the IMR powder and claims he cannot get the Accurate Arms 5744 or the N110. It sounds like it's readily available to you folks in the midwest, but here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and the eastern panhandle of West Virginia, people look at me like I have three heads when I ask for the stuff.

I have read a bunch on this message board and some other websites, but I would really appreciate some quick feedback from you Savage owners on the best load. I hunt whitetail deer in primarily mountainous terrain in WV. Most shots are in the 35-85 yard range, but can extend out to 150 yards or so on occasion. Like everyone else I know, I would like to have consistency/reliability in all weather conditions and I want knock-down power more than anything. I've spent far too many hours over the past 3-4 years blood-trailing wounded deer from various Traditions firearms and have run out of patience for it.

Personally, I would have to say I am leaning toward the 300 gr. over the 250 gr. However, I would like feedback from those of you that have had far more experience than I with this. For those of you that say I should continue to seek the AA 5744 or the N110 or even N120, just in case I continue to struggle to find it in this area, is there a reasonable means of finding online?

Thank you very much in advance for your help. :?

I use the Hornady SST 250gr. and 43gr N110 with excellent results on deer and accuracy. Also it doesn't have near the recoil as the 300gr. :wink:

couplers said:
I hunt whitetail deer in primarily mountainous terrain in WV. Most shots are in the 35-85 yard range, but can extend out to 150 yards or so on occasion. Like everyone else I know, I would like to have consistency/reliability in all weather conditions and I want knock-down power more than anything.

Call Graf & Sons, and get some 5744 sent straight to your door. Congratulate yourself on the time, gas, and sales tax that you have saved. Congratulate yourself further that with bulk .452 250 gr. or 300 gr. XTPs and MMP short, black "MMP" sabots direct from MMP-- your cost per shot will be the cheapest of all muzzleloaders, about 12 cents per shot . . . less than a .22 WinMag.

Which IMR powder did he have. If it is 4759, it's a good one for the Savage. I, and other here shoot 43 grains under 250 SST with great results. It might take a little fine tuning on the charge for your gun.

The IMR that I've found locally is the 4759.

If I do go ahead and order the AA5744, should I go ahead with the 44 gr. of powder with either bullet, or do I need to load a little heavier with the 300gr. as opposed to the 250gr.?

Thanks.

Start with 40 grains and work up. Normally, you use less propellant with heavier bullets to protect the sabot.

Thanks, Randy, and to all of you for your help. I'm going to try to order per Randy's suggestion and I hope to be sharing some stories on how it's going once I get to shootin'! :)

Coupler
When ordering over the net, you will be charged a Haz Mat fee for shipping. So if possible order multiple units of power. I think the charge of $20.00 per package is correct. So if ordering 1lb will cost $20.00 in shipping ordering 3lbs will still only cost you the same $20.00.

Latest posts

Back