Finally after a long season of hunting.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightfan

Reaction score
Well after a long season of bow hunting and gun week, I finally scored. I logged many hours on stand this year only to see does and small 4 and 6 pointers.

Saturday (12/3) was the day. I had to work a midnight shift. I got home around 7am and really did not feel like going out but finally decided to suck it up and go. I decided not to go to one of my stands so I grabbed my chair and muzzleloader and went walking to a pinch point near a golf course.

I finally get set and ready about 7:40. 20 minutes later I hear 4 grunts to my right. I look and its a six point I have seen about 6 times. I could of taken him again but decided not to. He roamed around me for about 20 minutes, grunting the whole time. Finally, he walked off. He headed in the direction of a farm where I know people were out hunting. I said to myself, hes gonna get shot. 10 minutes later, I hear a shot. I thought to myself, that shot sounded like it came off my property. I then got out of my chair to make sure nobody was trespassing. I walk 15 yards to a gas well road and start walking up it. The well road is at least 15 yards wide and a good 200 yard long. I had my gun on my back and I am walking at a pretty good pace. At the end of the well road, I slow down and start looking for orange. I come to a stop and am looking to my right. Up ahead of me about 35 yards I hear a couple grunts. I start to say to myself, who would use a grunt call this late in the season? In the middle of that thought I see movement on the ground about 35 yards away. Its a nice 8 point that I had never seen before. His nose was on the ground the whole time. He was coming up ahead of me to my left. I took my gun off my back, took the saftey off and let him walk past a dead tree. He was about 40 yrds when I took the shot. He took a huge leap and crashed about 25 yrds later. Basically I walked right up on this buck, he never saw me out on the well road in the wide open. Better to be lucky then good any day :shock:

Knight Elite 250gr Hornady SST. 115gr of 777

Trumbull county Ohio

I know I look a little young to be hunting but I always say, I have good genetics!!

IMAG0157.jpg

IMAG0159.jpg

Father-in-law and son

Nice buck.

Looks like you will have a hunting partner soon!!

Yep

I know, him and I can't wait. He wants to go now but he just turned 5 so not quite yet. I told him when he's 8.

Nice buck and congrats. Trumbull is one of the counties I hunt also.

Yeah.... Did you happen to shoot a little buck?? huh....huh did you???? Well....??? :evil:

J/K

Where at in Trumbull do you hunt?

Well done! Love hearing stories like that. 25% location - 75% add a little well earned luck to the mix!!

Great deer--looks like a big body in the second pic. Congratulations

knightfan said:
Your not the Chad that hunts off of Smith Stewart RD. Are you???

Lol no I'm not that Chad. I hunt a 900 acre farm in the Mosquito lake area. I hunt in Ashtabula and Licking county also.

Omega45 said:
chaded said:
Nice buck and congrats. Trumbull is one of the counties I hunt also.

Were you the trespasser? :shock:

I must of lost track of where I was when I was stalking and crossed the property line. My fault.

That is a great buck!!! What a pig. Better to be lucky any day. The first picture is a real smile maker. That young man looks like the happiest person in the world.

Re: Yep

knightfan said:
I know, him and I can't wait. He wants to go now but he just turned 5 so not quite yet. I told him when he's 8.

I took my oldest Son when he was 8 last year and the youngest Son at 6 this year. You will know when they are ready. Nice Buck.

Need a hunting partner

Chaded wondering if you need a hunting partner. Thats alot of acres ya know??? :lol:

Check it out

If you guys didnt look at the posting in the Muzzleloader success section, under Iowas first gun season, check it out. Some of the best bucks down and on hoof I have ever seen. What a bunch of monsters. Makes me kinda jealous. Those guys have a spot there! :D

Your 8 point is a little bit bigger than mine I got this year so I was actually wondering if you needed a hunting partner. :D

Wow, that's a bruiser of a buck! Nice story too- I've had that happen a few times- walking up on something kinda by luck. Congrats again!

Great buck, congrats! Although, on the same weekend, around 10am I crawled out of my tree stand to head home. As I was walking, I spotted a small 8 pt about 200 yds away. I grunted a couple times at him and he turned 90 deg. and started directly at me. As he got closer, and I was kneeling out in the open, he veered slightly and just looked at me as he made he way by around 20 yds. After he disappeared into the timber, I stood up and started walking again. I looked up, and there where I first spotted the small 8, stood a 150 or so Inch deer looking at me, and he apparently heard me grunt too. I was busted and had no shot. I hope I come across him again. In my opinion, there is no harm in trying to grunt to a buck during the second rut. Both deer were still chasing does, as was last years Christmas Day buck I harvested. Just my 2 cents.

Back