Finally took the Accura MR out

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDReed

Reaction score
Bought this rifle a few months back but didn't get a chance to shoot it until today.

Based on help from this forum I decided to start out with blackhorn 209, harvester sabots, and 265 grain 44 cal hornady FTX's.

Took 2 shots at 50 yards before stretching it out to 100. First shot at 100 was a little over 4" low. Made one adjustment and shot the group seen below. The top shot was the last one in the string. Kind of wish I had that one back just to see if it could do better but that's the way it goes.

I know many of you can do better with your eyes closed but muzzleloaders I've owned in the past never shot even close this, I couldn't be happier right now.

Thanks again to everyone that shared your knowledge with me!

Pretty darn good would definitely be a bad day for any critter.. might play with the powder load to tightnen it up but nothing wrong with that group for hunting out to 150-200 yds.

I bought the same gun. I put a DNZ scope mount and Leupold Ultimate Slam scope on it. Like most CVA's it's very accurate.

Good luck with yours.

Accura Mr,,one of the best for the price,,mine is half inch rifle with 70 gr by wieght 250 fury star tip, I have many other gun choices,but on most hunting mornings I have grabbed the cva

I went from an Accura to an Optima V2 partly because of its lighter weight. It shoots very well but after seeing your group from that handy little MR, I’m having second thoughts. Great shooting!

I went from an Accura to an Optima V2 partly because of its lighter weight. It shoots very well but after seeing your group from that handy little MR, I’m having second thoughts. Great shooting!

I'll tell you what opened my eyes that longer barrels don't matter that much.

I forgot his name but he was a retired military sniper. He took a CVA Accura and cut the barrel to 20". He then used it to shoot small groups ay 300yds.

The Accura MR with it's 25" barrel isn't handicapped if you want to shoot long distances.

edit.......Carlos was the sniper I was talking about. It just came to my failing memory. A lot of you know him.

Last edited:
First time out and a really good group. Now practice and maybe some experimenting with different bullets and powder charges. I have the Optima and it shoots really well with a 300 grn Thor. Carlos Hathcock Muley?

First time out and a really good group. Now practice and maybe some experimenting with different bullets and powder charges. I have the Optima and it shoots really well with a 300 grn Thor. Carlos Hathcock Muley?

Yes, definitely need some more time behind the trigger but to be honest if this is as good as it ever gets I'll still be happy as a clam.

I do however have some 300 grain XTP's and a few different sabots so I will be experimenting with loads/charges.

I should also say that this is my first time using the BH209 and I now get why people like it so much. As long as I can continue to find it I don't see myself switching anytime soon.

Sorry, but my memory again. I forgot his last name. He used to work in a gunshop a lot of us bought from. Of course, I forgot the name of the gunshop too. :(

Carlos at Eds gunshop in NC. Havent seen him post anywhere in a long time and he is no longer at Ed's either.

Nice group! I recently purchase a CVA Accura LR, put a Sig Sauer BDX combo with it, got Parker 300g bullets and the BH 209 just arrived. Can't wait to shoot it, also picked up a chronograph just to dial in the fps. Hopefully New Mexico will lift the 14 day quarantine so I can go elk hunting the end of October.

Back