Finding the right load for Triumph

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cleboje

Reaction score
Well I finally got a Triumph, but I am at a loss as to how to go about finding the right load for the gun. :oops:

Here is what I have:

Shockwave 250 gr sabots

Hornady 45-250 gr SST sabots

Hogdon Triple 7 pre-formed pellets

Hogdon Pyrodex RS FFG (loose powder)

If you have a favorite method for finding the right load/bullet/sabot, please make me smart on how to find the most accurate load for this gun.

You have a great rifle. And tuning it should not be that much of a problem. If I had your rifle (which I do not)

I would start with two of the Triple Se7en pellets and a 250 grain Shockwave. Shoot five of them and see how they group. I think you will be pleased. If you are happy with that, fine.. if not, try loading three of the pellets and the same bullet and shoot five more of them. Again, it should do a good job.

With the Pyrodex RS load 100 grains and shoot the same bullets. Then you might want to try 110 or 120 grains of powder with the same bullets. Be sure to swab between shots. Also take your time between shots.

No two guns are the same, never the less some do demonstrate similarites since I have one and have friends that also do there are sertain things I will suggest you try.
250gr Gold Dots
250gr Parker
200gr SW
+ what you have already got
Black Horn 209
Try 90-100- and 110gr Shoot off a good solid sand bag rest for group you will know what the gun likes before you are done unless it is a lot different than the ones I know of. Lee

cleboje said:
Well I finally got a Triumph, but I am at a loss as to how to go about finding the right load for the gun. :oops:

Pick up some Blackhorn 209 powder. Also order some short black harvester sabots. 250grn SST"S and CCI primers. Start off with 100grns by volume and work up to 115grns. 110grns seems to work the best for me. If your Muzzleloader is brand new, i would not shoot 777 thru it. Only BH 209. :)

I have heard a lot about the Blackhorn 209 powder, but the price is expensive!!!

I picked up 10 cans of the Pyrodex RS powder from Wal-Mart when they had it on sale for $7/can.

I will try the loose powder when I go to the range...

Is there any benefit to trying an in-between load, like 85 or 95 or 105 grains by volume??

Grouse said:
cleboje said:

Pick up some Blackhorn 209 powder. Also order some short black harvester sabots. 250grn SST"S and CCI primers. Start off with 100grns by volume and work up to 115grns. 110grns seems to work the best for me. If your Muzzleloader is brand new, i would not shoot 777 thru it. Only BH 209. :)

That's the best advice I know of. It would be well worth the price in saved range time, IMO.

IMG_0134.JPG

If you can't do that..I'd probably go with a 200gr/250gr Shockwave and 110gr RS, swabbing between shots.

Ok guys I'm looking in my Mid-South book... It says small petal and large petal under the Harvester sabots. I'm assuming the small petal is the short black,,, is this right?

flint head said:
Ok guys I'm looking in my Mid-South book... It says small petal and large petal under the Harvester sabots. I'm assuming the small petal is the short black,,, is this right?

YES! :wink:

Latest posts

Back