FIRE STARTING STEEL COMPARSIONS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
Jonathan I see you have a couple of flint and steel kits at very good prices. 

82_1_1200.jpg
82_2_1200.jpg
My question is about your steels for useage - round compared to flat surfaces. I can see advantages and disadvantages both ways. ​
Example: ​
The round steel would take more effort (pay more attention to what your doing) because of having a round surface, could cause the steel to slide rather than hit the flint directly for a spark? But would have a more pleasing feel to the hand without square edges.​
The flat steel (most used and seen today and of old) has a flat surface for getting a spark (more direct contact). But with use and hardness of the steel can cut you if not paying attention.​
I personally have always used the hand forged style like your flat steel, can't remember ever using a round steel, but find that one interesting. Have used an old round file but it still had a rough surface from being a file (better than nothing).​

Both of them spark really well. They were some spares Ive collected over the years and decided to put some kits together and sell them off. Originally, all the list I recently listed was supposed to go to rendezvous on the trade/sale blanket but eveything rendezvous wise seems to be getting canceled due to fires.

Both designs work great though. The round or oval shape tends to save your knuckles.

I have one I'll go get and show you guys that was found at a small fur trade trading post near Quebec CA about 70 years ago. It was wrapped in a canvas like material and from the color it had been heavily oiled. I'll go get it and take a picture.

I make them using old hay rake springs. Not sure what the steel is but I sure can get a shower of sparks.

Latest posts

Back