First experience with Encore + BH209 + Hornady FPB

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slayerextreme

Reaction score
well...the jury is still out....I will say this, cleaning up after shooting is a snap!!!

Back to the shooting,,,,

Caldwell lead sled (no weight added)
Standard Encore 50
110grain BH209
hornady FPB
Winchester 209 primers

100 yards

took about 8 shots to get it where I really really wanted it(about 2 inches high @ 100 yards)

group averaged about 2.5 inches with 5 shots, after each shot , I ran a dry patch down the barrel and allowed the barrlel to cool anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes.

gonna tweak it a little on my next outing to bring it down to about 1" high at 100 then I will test it at 50 and 150 to see what I've got to work with in the field....

since the FPB's are so new, I cant find a lot/any of info on how they performed on game, was hoping that somebody here has used them to take some early season hogs

but it does look like this new bullet has a good chance of increasing "bang-flops"......compared to my friends 250 graing TC after-shocks these FPB's look like 155 pack howitzer rounds!!!

more as I get it

Try NOT wiping with Black Horn . My groups shrank close to an inch when I quit wiping.
90 and 100 gr grouped better for me than 110.
They did get so close to one inch as it makes no differance.
When I ran some expansion tests on them the results looked better at 90 grs to me.
I use sandy loam for the test as thats what I have a lot of.
Lee

Shot my Encore with the BH209 yesterday. Tried 100gr at 50 yds and got roughly 2" groups with .452/300 XTP/crushribs. When I tried 110gr. they grouped into one hole. Went out to 100yds and still touching but 5-6" high. After scope adjustment I'm 2-3" high and ready for a deer to test!! :lol:

I agree the cleanup was a snap with the Hoppes#9. I didn't swab and actually the BH powder got more accurate for me. I did shoot a couple shots after swabbing to see where I am with a clean, cool barrel.

This BH209 was almost as much fun in the Encore as shooting my Whites with T7 I must say. No more pyrodex or T7 will touch my Encore either. 8)

Come on November!!

toytruck...how was poi after swabbing and cool barrle???

toytruck.....seen where you swabbed and allowed barrel to cool, but you never mentioned the results of poi....what was the results????

Back