first of a series of questions.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmac

Reaction score
Let me first say this is a great forum. Wealth of information.

Well I pickup of my fist box of sabots. They are T/C?s Super 45 XR Sabots at 180 grain. Does anyone have any experience using them?

Another question I have is what's the relevance between using a sabot at 180 grain vs. one that is at 240 gr.? Being in NJ I can?t imagine shooting more then 50 - 100 yards. Does distance dictate your preference in the size of the sabots you use?

thanks in advance

Several things determine which sabot I'll use. First is accuracy. You've got to hit it to kill it. With a new muzzleloader I'll usually pick up at least three different weights/types of bullets/sabots that I know will do the job at hand and head to the range. Since yours is a .45, I'd probably start out with 2 of the .45cal 50gr Triple Se7en pellets or about 80-90gr of loose Triple Se7en and shoot a 3-shot group with each bullet type using the same powder charge swabbing between shots. You'll quickly see the one that groups the best.

That 180gr bullet is a pretty good one from what I've read. I'd want to at least try a 200gr XTP or SST/Shockwave and maybe a 195gr Barnes.

Thank you Big6 for the information. Ill definetly see about picking up some additional loads.

Just my personal choice, I like big chunks of lead. But if you put that 180 grain in the right spot it will do the job just fine. Like 6X6 said, accuracy is the key element here.

Can I ask.. what made you choose the .45 caliber over the .50 caliber if all your shots are short range?

Good luck with your new rifle.

I was definitely on a budget with my purchase and the 45 cal came along. It was the right price at the right time.

I understand budgets.. I had saw some very nice priced .45 calibers as well but never bought one yet. I am holding out for a special one you might say.. a .451 caliber in a White.

They will all be close at those distances it depends what you are after . The 155,180,200gr. XTP's will all load about the same if you are have with them load really hard there is a light blue sabot that will help . Cabela's has them in packs of 50 . Also to save money you can buy the XTP's in boxs of 100 for a lot less . 45's are fun once you fin the right load . Start around 100 gr.of powder and go up and down for your best group . My load is 100gr. of 3f 777 powder in my 209x45 Encore , and at that load the XTP's ,200gr sst's and the barnes195gr all group well (2" or less at 50 yards ) . The SST/shockwaves are the best 1" or less . Have fun with your new toy .
Charlie

You do not want to execced the factory recommended velocity for the Hornady .40 180gr and .40 200 grain pistol bullets which I believe is around 1800FPS.

If you hit bone they will likely blow up.

I had a friend shoot the 240 gr Hornady pistol bullet with 3 pellets and it hit a shoulder blade with that bullet moving to fast for its construction.

What a mess, but the bullet fragments did kill the deer.

He now shoots the T/c shock-wave.

choc-dog

Well I was finially able to head out for some shootin

Yesterday I finally made it out to the range to shoot my T/C Omega 45cal. for the first time. I was sighting in at a 50 yard range. I have to say it shot extremly well.

I shot 2 different load and have not come to any conclusions as to which shot better. They were the Super 45 XR sabots at 180 gr. and the Shockwave Spire point Sabots at 200 gr. with 100 gr of 777

I was actually able to shoot my last 3 shots using the XR sabots at 1" groups. Very happy. A question I have for you folks is I normally sight in at 100 yards with my other rifles and dont know how my T/C will shoot at 100 yards if sighted in at 50. I left the range with my last shots being at 2" high center. Can i expect a 2 inch drop with my current loads when attempting 100 yards shots ?

cmac

You should be right on target with that load at 100 yds., the only way to be sure is to shoot it and see. There maybe some final tweeking to get the accuracy you want at the longer distance.

thanks i will zero it in at 50 yards next saturday and take a couple of 100 yard shots.

Back