First try at reloading, Bergara

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried doing that with my Sako A7 long range in 300 win mag. The magazine wont let me load bullets that are that close to the lands, unless I load one at a time. My bullets are jumping a 1/4" from my magazine to reach the lands.

Hopefully the new Bergaras are making longer box magazines. I love their new rifles they are putting out.
Hey Mr.Alska, I have had the same problem in my kimber. But I also found that Barnes bullets like a jump and they make awesome hunting bullets also...try some LRX and I think you will be happy.

Think of it this way.
Accuracy boils down to one simple concept.....making it so that bullet # 2 is the same (powder charge , weight, neck tension, chamber pressure, concentricity, alignment, etc.) as the same as bullet #1 and #3 and so on. Seating as described facilitates that goal. No?

Good video , Lewis

That guy is one of the Top F-Class shooters in the US, He knows where his Lands are ;) He is just going at it differently, Instead of “Chasing the Lands” as the Throat Erodes (They obviously get farther away) When Accuracy starts to diminish he simply Seats forward til he finds the “Node” again, He is doing this INSTEAD of Measuring the Lands, as he Refers to it “Chasing the Lands” He doesn’t care where the Lands are. It is a Very interesting technique, Which he gets STELLAR results from

Reloading Centerfire is a LOT of Fun, and you are doing GREAT Bob :lewis: I started doing it when i was about 14 years Old, I’ve been at it well over 30 Years now, I enjoy every minute of it

Keep up the Good Work Bob! That Rifle of yours Shoots :lewis:

I don't reload much anymore, but used to load 30-06 like a mad man. I likely have 700 rounds loaded still today. Had lots of fun shooting those.

The only thing I load for today is just the 450 Bushmaster, which I rarely shoot. Bob's post and the replies brought back a few memories of trying to find better consistent accuracy. I just happened to test a couple 450 rounds and found that I still had the target photo. ;)

Range: 100yds
Shots 1 & 2 were from a clean bore that hadn't been swabbed. I just pulled it out and shot it. Made the slight adjustment and shot rounds 3 & 4 with my "normal" OAL reloads. I'd loaded the following rounds 5 - 9 with the bullet seated out more. I'd have to look in the book to know how far, but the point is clear on the target. The OAL change was significent.

IMG_1660.JPG

And tell me if you will, how I'm supposed to create hate and discontent on this forum if I'm constantly reminded about my BORE BUTTER fetish? Is there no justice?

And tell me if you will, how I'm supposed to create hate and discontent on this forum if I'm constantly reminded about my BORE BUTTER fetish? Is there no justice?

That Avatar of yours KILLS me everytime i see it :roll:

Back on Track here. Bob, if you ever decide to Try some Cast in your .308, I will gladly send you some of my 165 XCB’s, Lubed/Sized/Gas Checked, Ready to Load. I would gladly send you some of my Paper Patch .30s as well.

I would also send you a Few each of my 165 Nosler Ballistic Tips, 168 Nosler Accubond LR’s, and these 155 Berger Hybrids

Back on Track here. Bob, if you ever decide to Try some Cast in your .308, I will gladly send you some of my 165 XCB’s, Lubed/Sized/Gas Checked, Ready to Load. I would gladly send you some of my Paper Patch .30s as well.

I would also send you a Few each of my 165 Nosler Ballistic Tips, 168 Nosler Accubond LR’s, and these 155 Berger Hybrids
will keep that in mind, thanks

Ok tried the same load again , some using IMR 3031 at 200 yds. I believe if I try That fellows advice about seating depth , I can get a tighter group. I don't look for much better considering the Rifle is so light. Here are the groups from this morning a balmy 28 degrees.20210212_142414.jpg20210212_142711.jpg

Ok tried the same load again , some using IMR 3031 at 200 yds. I believe if I try That fellows advice about seating depth , I can get a tighter group. I don't look for much better considering the Rifle is so light. Here are the groups from this morning a balmy 28 degrees.View attachment 13076View attachment 13077
I did not mention concentricity in my ramblings, I don't know what dies you are using, but if you are really serious and curious about this, you might consider purchasing a fixture/tool to check if your loaded rounds are straight.
You can have some general idea if, when you adjust your seating depth as previously discussed, those square marks seem heavier on one side than the other in a uniform sort of way. When you turn loaded rounds in a concentricity fixture you may get a real shock and start looking for hand seating dies and an arbor press.

I did not mention concentricity in my ramblings, I don't know what dies you are using, but if you are really serious and curious about this, you might consider purchasing a fixture/tool to check if your loaded rounds are straight.
You can have some general idea if, when you adjust your seating depth as previously discussed, those square marks seem heavier on one side than the other in a uniform sort of way. When you turn loaded rounds in a concentricity fixture you may get a real shock and start looking for hand seating dies and an arbor press.
I thank for advice, but this rifle isn't a bench gun and I am really not looking for that kind of accuracy, but might purchase a Micrometer seating die

Latest posts

Back