First try at reloading, Bergara

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45-70 neck sizing only? That 3031 looked pretty good.
yes, same as I thought , I knew the low one was bad when it broke , only using a 10 power , Nikon , and is pretty hard to see 1 moa red dot at 200. Only Neck Sizing

That is good shooting for a light rifle with only 10power optics. It will be a great hunting rig.

That is GREAT Shooting with a Light, Stock Rifle, That Bergara Shoots!

The Mighty little .308 Winchester, From Mice to Moose the .308 Will get it done! :lewis: It Quickly became my Favorite Cartridge. My .300 Winchester Magnum Shoots the exact same Bullet, But burns a BUNCH more powder, WAY Rougher on Barrel life (Throat erosion) It Kicks like a Mule, All of this to gain 200-300 Fps, In my Humble opinion, the Gain is just not Worth it. My little .308 is COMFORTABLY pushing a 165/168 Grain Bullet to 2,750-2,800 Fps, That will Kill ANYTHING that i could possibly encounter with EASE, Moose/Elk/Bear/Deer, And the .308 is a Pure Pleasure to Shoot

That is the way ive always looked at it too. The 308Win is just a nice all around cartridge and it fits in a short action. It gives up very little to the 30-06 unless you go up in bullet weight. I still cant believe the 260Rem never caught on like the 6.5 Creed did. All in all it has nearly the same ballistics but using a commonly available brass to do it.

I still cant believe the 260Rem never caught on like the 6.5 Creed did.
I enjoy the .243 Winchester ( .308 case ). But IMHO any bullet diameter with the 308 case is a keeper. I would have liked to see a .257 bullet in that case. Never know what they are thinking when they make there decisions. Like having the 450 Bushmaster headspace on the case mouth. Especially for an AR platform. Who thought of that?????

I enjoy the .243 Winchester ( .308 case ). But IMHO any bullet diameter with the 308 case is a keeper. I would have liked to see a .257 bullet in that case. Never know what they are thinking when they make there decisions. Like having the 450 Bushmaster headspace on the case mouth. Especially for an AR platform. Who thought of that?????
they were thinking combat , I would say

As a Marine Boot in 1967 at Rifle Range was the first Center Fire i ever shot . It was the M-14 , one of finest weapons ever made

This is worth watching, Erik Cortina ABSOLUTELY knows what he’s doing, and he say’s to NOT worry about “Chasing the Lands” That it’s Stupid (I stil do, because it works for me)

Part 1

Part 2

You CAN’T intelligently Argue with Mr. Cortina’s Success, Check this 5 Shot 1,000 Yard Group out :) The first 4 Shots measure .3, The 5th Shot opened the Group up to 1.3“ MANY can’t do this at 100 Yards

That was the video I had watched a couple of days before this thread started (chasing the lands) That 5 shot group video was incredible also. I haven’t played with seating depth yet, just powder charge. I’ve always taken a factory round and screwed my seating die down till it touches the bullet. I then seat to that depth. I know I can wring a lot tighter groups out of it by playing with OAL but what I’ve done with my hunting rifles has worked okay for me so far.

I did not mention concentricity in my ramblings, I don't know what dies you are using, but if you are really serious and curious about this, you might consider purchasing a fixture/tool to check if your loaded rounds are straight.
You can have some general idea if, when you adjust your seating depth as previously discussed, those square marks seem heavier on one side than the other in a uniform sort of way. When you turn loaded rounds in a concentricity fixture you may get a real shock and start looking for hand seating dies and an arbor press.
I seat halfway then rotate the cartridge 180 and finish the seat. No idea whether they’re coencentric or not, but in my head they are.

That was the video I had watched a couple of days before this thread started (chasing the lands) That 5 shot group video was incredible also. I haven’t played with seating depth yet, just powder charge. I’ve always taken a factory round and screwed my seating die down till it touches the bullet. I then seat to that depth. I know I can wring a lot tighter groups out of it by playing with OAL but what I’ve done with my hunting rifles has worked okay for me so far.
I did watch and twice , loaded some more like he suggested also borrowed a friends comparator

To my knowledge, the .308 was the most inherently accurate cartridge ever commercially developed until the advent and factory loading of the 6 PPC.

I seat halfway then rotate the cartridge 180 and finish the seat. No idea whether they’re coencentric or not, but in my head they are.
I was taught to do the same as mentioned above. The new dies are a lot better in aligning the bullets than the old standard dies.

Latest posts

Back