Fishing Florida Keys

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nugbuk

Reaction score
Just came back from Key Largo family vacation.
After feeding tarpons from the peer of local restaurant ?
TarponFeedeng.jpg

I decided to go fishing.
Next evening my son, guide Leonardo and I headed for the big ones.
Action was unbelievable and Leonardo knows his business for sure.
First my son did not want to go with me, but when he landed his tarpon after 25 minutes of fighting with the fish he was happy.
Tarpon.jpg

He also lands sea tortilla. We all were really upset about it, but guide said that hook will rust off in couple of days in the salt water (he was using high carbon hooks) and creature will be OK.
Tortilla.jpg

I have landed black tip shark and couple of skates.
Blacktip.jpg

Blacktip1.jpg

I also had four tarpon hooked but could not manage to land them. Scenario was the same: fish jumped and spit the hooks. And I?m going to tell you - tarpons jump is something. I tried to get in on the camera but got just a splash when fish is landed in the water.
TarponJump.jpg

Next day Leonardo and I headed for the sea trout. After 45 minutes of boat ride through mangroves channels, open bodies of water and waiting out storm we arrived at the place.
TroutPond.jpg

And there it was. Two and a half hours of nonstop action.
We landed couple of catfish
Catfish.jpg

and a lot of a sea trout.
Trout1.jpg

Trout2.jpg

We kept four trout. And after filleting it at the dock
Guide.jpg

and preparing it in the local restaurant it made a very gourmet lunch.

:D NugBuk, great trip there and enjoyed your pics!! Sounds like you had a fine Guide there.

Last time at was at Key Largo was right after finals up graduating from college back in 1973. Beautiful area. Spent some time also at Key Colony too! Didnt do any fishin on that trip at least for the finned type. :lol:

Thanks Loggy,
It was a good trip and guide was good too. Leonardo has guided for 20 years and was commercial fishermen before that. He does know his stuff.
And fishing on the flats is always amazing.

Great story and pics Nug!! The next time I go down to Florida I am gonna have to try some flats fishing.... Sounds like you had a great time... now its time to get back to some serious reloading and dog training :lol:

Nug, that pic with the tarpon and your son is priceless. Thanks for sharing, Rman

Latest posts

Back