Flame Channel.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bestill

MM Sponsor
MM Sponsor
Reaction score
Just a reminder to all muzzleloader guys shooting a gun with a breech plug that has a flame channel between primer and flash hole.

Keep carbon cleaned out this is critical for cold ignition and proper ignition.

Most have a flame channel i.d. of .125 to .156

bestill said:
Just a reminder to all muzzleloader guys shooting a gun with a breech plug that has a flame channel between primer and flash hole.

Here is picture showing what he is saying... we have called this the 'Flash Channel' for many years now.

bp-diagram.jpg

Picture provided by GM 54-120

bestill said:

Good reminder, and at least two of us know what a "flame channel" is.

As much as the subject comes up. I suspect a lot of us know what it is.

Muley Hunter said:

Yet every year we have someone including people that have been around for awhile with ignition issues. Ive even seen some using muzzleloading primers after its been covered numerous times not to use them with BH209.

The number of times ive seen people say "my breach plug is clean" only to find out it wasnt are too many to count. I would imagine over 90% of ignition issues are because people didnt take 1 minute to clean a plug with a drill bit.

GM54-120 said:
Muley Hunter said:

Yet every year we have someone including people that have been around for awhile with ignition issues. Ive even seen some using muzzleloading primers after its been covered numerous times not to use them with BH209.

The number of times ive seen people say "my breach plug is clean" only to find out it wasnt are too many to count. I would imagine over 90% of ignition issues are because people didnt take 1 minute to clean a plug with a drill bit.

Exactly. The first time I used BH209, I was totally shocked how hard the deposits were in the channel. I would have bet money that it was the plug, not build up. Knowing what size your channel is clean is important. I once purchased a used rifle, which was clean as a whistle...even the plug appeared clean. It had been drilled out, however whoever did it used a 1/8" bit when the actual channel was 5/32". I drilled it the rest of the way out.

Even when its partially clean if you use a solvent you end up with a sludge or wet carbon fouling. You need to be 100% certain its all out of the channel. A Pro Shot stainless gas port brush will polish the channel to like new AFTER using a drill bit.

I didn't say everybody knows it. Certainly, not everybody remembers it.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity."

I work in IT, a lot of people get irritated when our technicians first question is "have you rebooted your PC?" They act like everyone knows you should do that. Yeah, true, but there is a reason why we ask the question. A lot of people don't reboot before they call someone else to take care of the problem.

For the record. I was responding to Busta, not the OP. I guess I should have quoted him.

Might want to go to higher elevation, because that went right over your head. :lol:

That was for Muley!

GM54-120 said:
Even when its partially clean if you use a solvent you end up with a sludge or wet carbon fouling. You need to be 100% certain its all out of the channel. A Pro Shot stainless gas port brush will polish the channel to like new AFTER using a drill bit.

I just googled the pro shot stainless gas port brush and there are a few options. Do you have a recommendation for the brush you like? I have a CVA breech plug.

Thanks!

I use a .22 caliber brush to polish the primer pocket on my plugs after using the drill bit to remove carbon inside the flame channel. The I turn the plugs around and use a .30 cal brush to clean the powder pocket on my CVA plugs, both the 209 replacement plugs and those I have drill and converted to vent liners. I spend as much time tinkering with the plugs to get them clean as I do cleaning the rest of the gun. I use either a compressor with a blower to help blow out the plug channels or a can of "desk air" used to clean off key boards. Both work well. As others have stated, keep the plugs clean and problems just don't seem to pop up when you least expect them.

Latest posts

Back