flash hole liner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot1

Reaction score
I have a kentucky styke flint lock that is new to me, should I try to remove the flash hole liner? Im afraid i will mess it up. the gun was unfired for years, my uncle tried to shoot it years ago but since then nothing. I recently started using it . I have cleaned the barrel using the technique described in this forum. is the liner removed every cleaning?

I personally remove it after every cleaning.

Get a boiling pot of water and soak the breech end the barrel in it for a few minutes. The heat will gently swell the metal and make removing the flash hole liner a lot easier. A little anti seize or white plumbers tape around the threads will make the next removal easier.

I see no reason to remove a touch hole liner. On all of my guns it isn't even possible without destroying the liner.

I agree with Randy....Removing a White Lightning just destroys it as with many of the others...Removing and replacing the vent or any other threaded piece causes wear, eventually making a poor fit...

Hilljack

Back